The Distortron is the gifted little sister to the Z.Vex "Box of Rock". It is highly specialized to simulate the "everything on 10" sound of a classic Marshall JTM45 non-master-volume amplifier. You may use the Distortron effectively with many different amplifiers, but to get the soundi heard when i designed it, try it through an old-school non-master volume Marshall at least once. You ay used your guitar's volume control to adjust for the exact amount of distortion you need, all the way down to very clean and clear with most drive settings when the gain switch is set to "Lo."
Let's go over the controls:
Drive: Sets the amount of distortion. Start around 1:00 o' clock.
Tone: Adjust for treble content. Start around 2:00 o' clock.
Volume: Adjust for output volume level. Start around 9:00 o' clock.
Gain Switch: "Lo/Hi" lets you choose standard "Box of Rock" gain level or a slightly boosted level.
SUBS Switch: "2-1-3" lets you choose between the full "Box of Rock" sub amount (3) or two different lower levels of subs depending on your amp's needs.
Drive: The Drive is based on my original Super Hard-On gain control, so it may crackle when turned. This is perfectly normal. That's why it says "Crackle Okay" by that knob.
Plug your guitar (or any effect's output) into the right hand input jack. Plug the output into an amp or other effect's input. Rock out. Set the subs switch so there's just enough low-end for your amp. Try turning up the gain all the way but leave the gain switch on Lo. This is maximum gain where youcan still turn down your guitar and get a completely clean tone if you need it. With the Gain switch on Hi you can get more singing sustain with feedback at moderate amp volume. Try using your rhythm pickup with the tone control turned all the way down for a vintage bluesy howling lead sound.
I recommend that you try the Distortron last i your pedal chain, just before the amp. You can set the amp for your favorite clean tone, set the Distortron for your favorite distortion tone, and if you're using a booster pedal as well, try it both before and after the Distortron to experience the different results... before the Distortron will give you more sustain, while after will give you more amp volume (or drive, if you use a distorted amp sound.) If you have other distortion pedals, don't leave the in the closet! Many distortion pedals sound amazing into the Distortron. You may discover a whole new love for your old pedal collection!
The best way to complete this pedal is to run it through a JTM45 Marshall amplifier head/cabinet on a warm clean setting (try strapping the channels, setting the volume below 3, and setting all other controls to 6 as a start point)
If the performance of your pedal seems diminished or the LED becomes very dim, it's time to change your battery. Remove the four screws on the bottom of the pedal and carefully remove and replace the old battery, putting it back exactly in the center of the pedal on edge so that it is gripped tightly by the lid when it is screwed back in place.
Your Vextron Distortron is warranted for 1 year from date of purchase, or as provided by law (EU and UK). Please consult Z.Vex's website for further information.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).