This pedal was originally designed for J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. He requested two Box of Rock pedals in one box with two stomp switches. He uses that regularly on stage now, but we did one (or two) better with the one we're releasing to the public... we made it so you can adjust the sub frequencies (like the Distortron), and you can convert either channel to a Super Hard-On. In this way, you can configure the pedal to be two Distortrons cascaded, two Super Hard-Ons cascaded (like a Super Duper 2-in-1), or a Box of Rock with boost, or a Super Hard-On (SHO) going into a Box of Rock. Distortion/Boost heaven! Whee!!
Let's go over the controls:
Drive: Sets the amount of distortion in Distortron mode, and sets the amount of boost in SHO mode. It may crackle when turned. This is perfectly normal.
Tone: Adjust for treble content. Start around 2:00 o' clock. This knob only does stuff in Distortron mode.
Volume: Adjust for output volume level.
DIS / BOOST Switch: Changes the circuit from a Distortron to Super Hard-On boost.
SUBS Switch: "2-1-3" lets you choose the full "Box of Rock" sub amount (3) or two different lower levels of subs depending on your amp's needs. Only works in Distortron mode.
Plug your guitar (or any effect's output) into the right hand input jack. Plug the output into an amp or other effect's input. Rock out. The two separate stomp switches control whether or not the two distinct circuits are engaged. You can select whether or not the circuit is a Distortron or Super Hard-On by way of the "DIS / BOOST" toggle. When in Distortron mode, set the subs switch so there's just enough low-end for your amp. Try using your rhythm pickup with the tone control turned all the way down for a vintage bluesy howling lead sound.
I recommend that you try the Double Rock last in your pedal chain, just before the amp. YOu can set the amp for your favorite clean tone, and set the Doulb eRock for your favorite distortion/boost tones. Since you can change the first or second stomp switches to either a Distortron or Super Hard-On (SHO), you can mix and match the two to experience different results... SHO before the Distortron will give you more sustain, while after will give you more amp volume (or drive, if you use a distorted amp sound). Of course, you can use the pedal the way J. Mascis intended by going Distortron into Distortron or get Super Duper 2-in-1 tones by cascading the SHOs. If you have other distortion pedals, don't leave them in the closet! Many distortion pedals sound amazing into the Double Rock. You may discover a whole new love for your old distortion pedal collection!
The best way to complete this pedal is to run it through a JTM45 Marshall amplifier head/cabinet on a warm clean setting (try strapping the channels, setting the volumes below 3, and setting all other controls to 6 as a start point).
If the performance of your pedal seems diminished or the LED becomes very dim, it's time to change your battery. Remove the four screws on the bottom of the pedal and carefully remove and replace the old battery, putting it back exactly in the center of the pedal on edge so that it is gripped tightly by the lid when it is screwed back in place.
Uses one 9V battery (preferably alkaline, but the unit is shipped with a carbon-zinc battery.) The low current operation of this pedal's circuit will give you the extraordinarily long battery life. Current draw is approximate 2mA. A DC power jack (standard Boss configuration with center negative) is provided on the side of the pedal. Use a high quality 9V adapter for all high-gain effects!
Your hand painted Double Rock has a lifetime warranty. Please contact Z. Vex for further details.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).