This pedal was originally designed for J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. He requested two Box of Rock pedals in one box with two stomp switches. He uses that regularly on stage now, but we did one (or two) better with the one we're releasing to the public... we made it so you can adjust the sub frequencies (like the Distortron), and you can convert either channel to a Super Hard-On. In this way, you can configure the pedal to be two Distortrons cascaded, two Super Hard-Ons cascaded (like a Super Duper 2-in-1), or a Box of Rock with boost, or a Super Hard-On (SHO) going into a Box of Rock. Distortion/Boost heaven! Whee!!
Let's go over the controls:
Drive: Sets the amount of distortion in Distortron mode, and sets the amount of boost in SHO mode. It may crackle when turned. This is perfectly normal.
Tone: Adjust for treble content. Start around 2:00 o' clock. This knob only does stuff in Distortron mode.
Volume: Adjust for output volume level.
DIS / BOOST Switch: Changes the circuit from a Distortron to Super Hard-On boost.
SUBS Switch: "2-1-3" lets you choose the full "Box of Rock" sub amount (3) or two different lower levels of subs depending on your amp's needs. Only works in Distortron mode.
Plug your guitar (or any effect's output) into the right hand input jack. Plug the output into an amp or other effect's input. Rock out. The two separate stomp switches control whether or not the two distinct circuits are engaged. You can select whether or not the circuit is a Distortron or Super Hard-On by way of the "DIS / BOOST" toggle. When in Distortron mode, set the subs switch so there's just enough low-end for your amp. Try using your rhythm pickup with the tone control turned all the way down for a vintage bluesy howling lead sound.
I recommend that you try the Double Rock last in your pedal chain, just before the amp. YOu can set the amp for your favorite clean tone, and set the Doulb eRock for your favorite distortion/boost tones. Since you can change the first or second stomp switches to either a Distortron or Super Hard-On (SHO), you can mix and match the two to experience different results... SHO before the Distortron will give you more sustain, while after will give you more amp volume (or drive, if you use a distorted amp sound). Of course, you can use the pedal the way J. Mascis intended by going Distortron into Distortron or get Super Duper 2-in-1 tones by cascading the SHOs. If you have other distortion pedals, don't leave them in the closet! Many distortion pedals sound amazing into the Double Rock. You may discover a whole new love for your old distortion pedal collection!
The best way to complete this pedal is to run it through a JTM45 Marshall amplifier head/cabinet on a warm clean setting (try strapping the channels, setting the volumes below 3, and setting all other controls to 6 as a start point).
If the performance of your pedal seems diminished or the LED becomes very dim, it's time to change your battery. Remove the four screws on the bottom of the pedal and carefully remove and replace the old battery, putting it back exactly in the center of the pedal on edge so that it is gripped tightly by the lid when it is screwed back in place.
Uses one 9V battery (preferably alkaline, but the unit is shipped with a carbon-zinc battery.) The low current operation of this pedal's circuit will give you the extraordinarily long battery life. Current draw is approximate 2mA. A DC power jack (standard Boss configuration with center negative) is provided on the side of the pedal. Use a high quality 9V adapter for all high-gain effects!
Your hand painted Double Rock has a lifetime warranty. Please contact Z. Vex for further details.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - No Hassle Returns - 30 Day Trial Period
At Music Store Live, we are proud to offer free shipping on just about everything we sell. We’ve also got one of the best return policies in the business giving you a full 30 day trial period that starts when you receive your order for all new* items. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped, we’ll provide you with return authorization information to send it back for an exchange, a refund, or in-store credit. But no matter what, we’ve got your back and we are here to help make sure you end up with the right gear for you. You’ll never be stuck with something you aren’t happy with.
Return Policy Details
What if there’s something defective with the item I purchased or it arrived with shipping damage?
We’ve got some of the best guitar techs around to test out every instrument before it leaves our shop and give everything a full setup. We’re confident your order will arrive ready to rock right out of the box. Our awesome warehouse staff put time and care into packaging your order up to make sure it all arrives to you safely. But let’s be honest, once in a blue moon stuff happens that’s out of anyone’s control. If you received an item which you believe is faulty, shows signs of shipping damage, or in any way doesn’t meet your expectations based on the description in the listing, please do not hesitate to contact one of our Gear Experts. No matter what happens, we want to make it right! (note: If you believe there to be shipping damage, please do not discard the packaging that your order came in and please make sure to contact us within 24 hours of receiving your delivery)
What if I’m not liking it or it’s just not working out for me?
Is something you purchased from us just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from Music Store Live. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us within 30 days of delivery*. You are welcome to return it for a refund, an exchange, or in-store credit.
- Please allow 2-4 business days from the receiving date for returns to be processed.
- If your purchase qualified for free shipping, we may withhold our outbound shipping costs from any refunds processed as part of the return.
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. Anything sent back to us must have an RMA number and we may refuse returns that did not receive prior authorization.
- Return the item(s) in its original packaging and in a way that will help ensure its safe arrival back to us.
- Just as we’re responsible for getting your order to you safely, you are responsible for returning the item(s) to Music Store Live in its original condition. Please take care with packaging it back up and preparing it for the return shipping journey. We recommend you add insurance to higher value items when sending them back.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL but is not to exceed 15% under typical circumstances.
- * B-Stock, C-Stock, E-Stock, Open Box, and Used items are subject to a 7-day trial period.
Is there anything that you guys won’t take back or that does not apply to your return policy?
We definitely want to work with you and be as flexible as we can to earn your business and to make sure you’re happy with everything you purchase from us. Unfortunately, there are some things that we simply cannot take back once it’s sold. That includes:
- Custom orders or instruments with modifications (pickup installs, straplock installs, tuner installs, etc)
- Software or authorization keys
- Guitar amp tubes or cabinet speakers
- Pickups that have been installed
- Strings that have been installed
- Drum heads and cymbals that show signs of use
- Personal items (earphones, harmonicas, instrument mouthpieces, etc.)
- Turntable cartridges
- Control vinyl
When sending back a return, please make sure that the return merchandise authorization number (RMA) provided by one of our Gear Experts is clearly written on the label of your return. To help avoid any restocking fees, please don’t write anything on the packaging. Please return all of the original packaging and its contents. We must receive the item/order back in a condition that allows us to resell it in the same condition it was originally in when we sent it out.
Your return label should look something like this:
Music Store Live
Attn: RMA XXXXX
300 W. 28th St, ste 102
National City, CA 91950
(Note: Purchases made through third party marketplaces such as eBay, Reverb, or Amazon have their own policies and criteria for returns. Please ask if you have any questions regarding that process.)
Shipping Policy Details
In most cases we ship new orders out within 1 business day of receiving payment. Here are some things to note:
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment. If you need to use a shipping address that differs from your billing address, feel free to contact a Music Store Live Gear Expert and we can help you out.
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company. If you’d like it held at a local FedEx facility, for example, please provide us with the full address of that facility before your order is shipped. This works out better than trying to re-route it once it’s in transit.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery please request it when requesting your order. Whether you choose to or not, we will still assume all of the responsibility in getting your item to you safely.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.