- True hard-wire bypass
- 9V battery or 2.1mm adapter
- Made in the USA
- Lifetime warranty
The Boss HM-2 was laid to rest in 1991 when the last of the wannabe Marshall-amp in a box pedals rolled off the line. A puzzling pedal to some and downright hated by others, the funeral was not attended by many and met with a sigh of relief by those who loathed it’s buzz-saw brand of high-gain distortion.
However there was a small group of loyal followers that grieved the death of this black and orange beast.
Despite the drop in sales the pedal experienced causing Boss to cease production, a wide swath of bands gave the HM-2 a permanent residence on their pedal-boards. Swedish Death Metal legends like Entombed and Dismember had long ago made it an essential “always on” part of their setup while the Shoegazing bands from My Bloody Valentine to The Jesus and Mary Chain were using it to help craft their walls of distorted guitar noise chaos. Others saw it showingup under the feet of some of the most noted bands that emerged in the now historic grunge-wave of the nineties.
Enter the Wren and Cuff Hang Man 2D, a detailed recreation of Boss’ “Heavy Metal” peda With a circuit more complicated than many digital delays, and the ability for the average person to get an original HM-2 on ebay for pretty cheap, many may wonder why the hell we decided to remake this pedal.
The answer Because I (Matt) wanted to. As with many of our recreations, it became an obsession and difficult task to really nail the tone. As usual, it went way beyond getting a schematic. It became a task requiring ears and hours. Also, a hand-wired, hand-loaded, circuit board using 1/4 watt metal film resistors instead of the 1/8 watt carbon film on the original is a nice thing if you like this pedal. The noise floor becomes dramatically less, and colorful overtones become much more apparent. Add to that the usual Wren and Cuff luxuries of 100% mechanical, true hard-wired bypass, rugged all metal Alpha pots mounted directly to the chassis, a Modern and Vintage toggle switch, tough metal enclosure and gorgeous art work… And one can see the value of the Hangman 2 over the original.
This pedal can go from super compressed, tight, smooth distortion, to a snarling buzz-saw monster that brings out every pick-to-string strike you throw at it. Surprisingly though, one trait it does not possess is the extreme scoop to the mids many associate with “Heavy Metal.” One of the secrets to it’s tone is the somewhat strange configuration of it’s “color mix” section.
There is the “low” knob which functions as one would expect, and a high knob to help shape the tone. But the “high” knob is kind of an odd-ball in how it effects things. The high-mids are tied together so that the high knob is more of a upper-mids to treble control which can make getting great sounds out of it a bit tricky… but this is also the charm of it. It’s not a pedal all will turn on and immediately fall in love with. It’s a pedal that will make you search for the sweet spot between the pedal’s own crunch and the amp it’s being fed into.
Many in the death-metal crowd dime everything, pummel the front end of a solid state or tube amp, then EQ the whole amp around the pedal. But most often the pedal’s output is pushed up hard enough to mesh with an amp’s natural distortion and the high knob jacked up enough to introduce the buzz-saw grind.
In other words, it’s tweaked until one finds the sweet spots lurking inside the Hang Man.
Do an HM-2 search on you tube and you’ll see the difference between those who have learned the hidden tricks of the HM-2, and those who still need some schooling. You’ll hear some of the thickest most brutal sounds a pedal can produce, but you’ll also hear some of the worst “bee trapped in a jar” tones that would make anyone cringe.
Then why recreate a pedal that isn’t instantly awesome to the average user Because I love it when a seemingly simple pedal makes you get out a shovel and dig for the gold nuggets inside. These are the things no modeler can reproduce. However, the “D” in our HM-2D is there for a reason. It stands for “Deluxe” because of a few tweaks applied to the circuit to make the pedal even more fun.
There is a vintage/modern switch that lets you to reconfigure the clipping diodes allowing you bounce between “stock” at one setting, and a less compressed more overdrive-meets-distortion sound as well as a boost to the output level. Pick up the Hangman 2D if you dare, and learn why it kicks ass and doesn’t take names.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).