WA-87 R2: Updated and Upgraded
In 2016, we at Warm Audio introduced one of the most talked-about 87-style FET condenser microphones in the industry with the release of the WA-87, and at just $599 USD it made the looks and authentic vintage sonics of this style of mic affordable to customers for the very first time. Simply put, the release of the WA-87 changed the industry’s perception of what could be achieved at an affordable price.
Based on classic 60s circuitry, the WA-87’s rich sound became a favorite of countless producers, engineers, and home recordists everywhere. It was our first microphone and a verifiable hit, and in recent years we’ve followed it with many other successful and ground-breaking designs.
Since the release of the WA-87 in 2016 we’ve learned a bunch more about microphone manufacturing, and we’ve proven that we can shatter the industry’s quality expectations at affordable prices. That experience drove us to see if we could improve the WA-87 in tangible ways without having to raise the price, and the result is the new WA-87 R2 (Revision 2). We’ve used everything we’ve learned about recreating vintage microphones in the last five years to bring it even closer to the sound, vibe and performance of the original 60s classic we all know and love. We’re ecstatic to bring you the result – in short, the new WA-87 R2 is bigger, bolder and just plain better!
A Faithful Reproduction with Top-Shelf Components
The WA-87 is based on a classic 60s circuit that is widely considered to be one of the greatest studio microphones ever designed. We spent countless hours trying to get even closer to the sound of the vintage version than we had with the WA-87, so the new WA-87 R2 uses top-quality components like a NOS Fairchild transistor and high-bandwidth polystyrene and film capacitors from Wima. The WA-87 R2 uses a custom-wound Cinemag USA output transformer like the original WA-87 did, with the new version providing a slightly increased output level and improved frequency response. We also employed the same capsule the WA-87 uses, which was designed to the exact specifications of the ones found in the vintage mics. The result is an incredibly accurate sonic replica of arguably the widest-used studio microphone in popular recording history!
The Most Versatile Mic in Your Locker
Just like the vintage microphone, the WA-87 R2 excels at recording virtually anything. Three polar patterns (cardioid, omni, and figure 8) make sure you’re covered for a wide variety of applications, and an 80Hz high pass filter reduces low-frequency rumble if needed. The switchable -10dB pad comes in handy when you want to record extremely loud sources and not overload the internal electronics.
The WA-87 R2 works brilliantly on vocals, drum overheads, guitars, piano, auxiliary percussion, brass, strings, and more. Not only that, it’s the same price as the original WA-87, so you can afford to have several in your mic locker!
Stunning in Sound and Appearance
The WA-87 R2 is now encased in a heavier, stronger and larger nickel-plated brass body, and the new rounded head basket shape adds additional space around the capsule for a more pleasing sonic signature. With authentic vintage warmth and a smooth detailed top end, we truly believe this mic performs on par with microphones costing five times as much or more. No matter what else you’ve got in your mic locker, the WA-87 R2 is sure to become one of your favorite go-to microphones!
- Large diaphragm studio condenser microphone, with a faithful reproduction of the original vintage 87-style circuit
- ALL DISCRETE PREMIUM COMPONENTS, INCLUDING A NOS FAIRCHILD TRANSISTOR AND WIMA/NICHICON CAPACITORS
- Custom Cinemag USA output transformer
- WA-87-B-50V capsule—reproduction of classic dual backplate (four-wire termination) K87 capsule
- Nickel-plated brass body
- Three polar patterns: cardioid, figure-of-eight, and omnidirectional
- -10dB pad and 80Hz high pass filter
- Frequency response: 20Hz – 20kHz
- SPL: .5% THD @ 125dB (without pad), 132dB
- Diaphragm: 6-micron thickness, gold-sputtered membrane, NOS mylar (PET film)
- Noise: -117dB
- Included accessories: wooden storage case, hard mount, and shock mount. (Optional flight case available)
- Weight (Fully Boxed): 6.5 lbs / 3 kg
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).