The groundbreaking DR-22WL from TASCAM is the first portable recorder to include Wi-Fi for transport control, file transfer, and audio streaming to your smartphone or PC. Other innovations like the new Scene Dial make it easier than ever to capture great-sounding recordings and share them online. A set of stereo condenser microphones is arranged in true XY pattern for ideal stereo imaging. The eight-position Scene Dial selects recording settings for typical situations, or can be set to full manual for greater control.
Included in the DR-22WL is a Wi-Fi function for controlling its transport and transferring files to a smartphone or computer. A free app for iOS and Android controls the transport and transfers files for instant upload. For a recording beginner or experienced user looking for a great-sounding, portable recorder with Wi-Fi, the DR-22WL is the only choice.
High-Quality Condenser Microphones
A pair of studio-quality condenser microphones top the DR-22WL, arranged in a true XY pattern for detailed imaging and phase coherence. The mic capsules are build to withstand up to 120dB SPL without distorting. Record concerts and rehearsals with the confidence that your recording won't be ruined with clipping.
- Cardioid Condenser Mics in an X-Y Pattern
- Cardioid condenser capsules are mounted in acoustically-tuned housings. As with all TASCAM recorders, the mic capsules were selected after extensive listening tests. The true X-Y pattern captures the stereo field in phase-alignment, for perfect imaging during playback.
- Designed To Handle High Sound Pressure Levels – Up to 120dB SPL
The design of the DR-22WL allows it to record loud sound sources, including rehearsals and concerts, without distortion. Up to 120 dB SPL means that a volume level 20 times higher than the 105dB SPL maximum sound pressure of a movie theater can be captured without clipping. The high level capability also makes the DR-22WL ideal for sound effects gathering.
Superior Microphone Preamp and A/D Converter for Quiet Operation
A programmable gain amplifier (PGA) is used to adjust the level of the audio inputs. In many devices, the audio codec level is adjusted to control levels. In the DR-22WL, the mic gain circuit is independent from the A/D converter for low noise performance as well as programmable gain (manual, automatic, or controlled over Wi-Fi.)
A CIRRUS LOGIC CS42L52 is used in the DR-22WL, a premium-quality audio codec. The A/D - D/A chip features both great audio performance and low power use for longer battery life. The built-in mics and the external inputs both pass through this low-noise audio input circuit.
Innovative Scene Dial and Large LCD for Easy Operation
The DR-22WL is equipped with an 8-position Scene Dial, a simple system to optimize the recorder for common recording scenarios. Similar to a digital camera, the rotating dial has presets for recording instruments, voiceover, and other common subjects. An EZ mode sets levels automatically, and the manual mode allows you to dial in your own settings. Together with the large LCD display, the DR-22WL couldn't be simpler to use.
Scene Dial Optimizes the Recorder for Common Subjects
Similar to the mode dial on a camera, the scene dial makes it easy to preset the recorder to fit your subject. A full manual mode is also available for uses who want to set the recorder up themselves.
Interface Features Large 128×128 LCD and 4 Function Keys
The 128×128 LCD, larger than previous TASCAM recorders, shows meters, settings and other information. Icons at the bottom visually display how the four function keys can be used. This interface reduces the need to dig through menus to find commonly-used recording functions.
Dedicated Input level Control
The most crucial setting on any recorder is the input gain – finding the balance between too low (noise) and too high (clipping). The DR-22WL has a large input level knob right under your fingertips. You don't need to press and hold a button or search through a menu to change the input level.
Remote Wi-Fi Control
TASCAM has revolutionized handheld recording with the new Wi-Fi control and transfer features. The DR-22WL creates its own Wi-Fi network with your iOS or Android phone, and a free app called DR Control controls remote operation without touching the unit. The app allows recording to be started and stopped, and can be used to check and adjust input levels. Any of the recording controls on the DR-22WL can be controlled over Wi-Fi.
Wi-Fi transmission range is about 65 feet (20m) – well beyond the reach of infrared remotes – so the recorder can be placed wherever the recording sounds best. Audio from the DR-22WL can also be streamed over Wi-Fi to check the recording. Plug headphones into your smartphone and listen to a near-realtime feed from the recorder.
- Simple Wi-Fi Connections Without a Router
The DR-22WL connects with smartphones and other Wi-Fi devices directly. There is no need for a Wi-Fi router network or other external equipment. Wi-Fi connections can be established simply by inputting the information shown in the app. Connection status can be checked with an LED on the unit as well as the app screen. Even if the Wi-Fi connection is interrupted, recording will not stop.
- Remote Control Using the Free DR Control App (iOS/Android)
The free DR Control app allows your iOS or Android phone to control the recorder from anywhere in the room. Start recording on-stage or from the back of the room, while placing the DR-22WL wherever the microphones sound best. Remote start also eliminates handling noise from pressing a button or moving the recorder.
In addition to recording, playback and other transport controls, DR Control can adjust the input levels, switch on the low-cut filter, change the mix, and more. A power-conservation mode is included to minimize battery consumption from Wi-Fi use.
Wireless Streaming to Monitor the Recorder
With DR Control, audio from the DR-44WL can be broadcast via Wi-Fi to your smartphone for streaming playback. Even when the DR-44WL is in a place that is out of reach, this capability allows you to check audio from the headphone jack. Ensure that you're getting the sound you want without leaving your seat.
Instantly Transfer Recordings to Your Smartphone or PC to Share Online
In addition to remote control, the DR-44WL allows you to wirelessly transfer recordings to your smartphone or laptop. Upload recordings to SoundCloud through the app, then publish that link to Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. Or simply email the file to friends.
* An Internet connection is necessary to upload files to the Internet from a smartphone.
Dual-Format Recording Function Records both WAV and MP3 Files
Dual Format Recording simultaneously records WAV and MP3 files to the card. This allows you to have instant access to the MP3 file for online sharing, while retaining the uncompressed WAV file master recording for later use.
* Due to MP3 file specifications, this function can only be used with 16-bit 44.1/48kHz WAV formats. This function cannot be used with 24-bit or 96kHz WAV/BWF file formats.
Share audio files from SoundCloud to other social networking services
After recording, transfer your files from the recorder to your smartphone using the TASCAM DR Control app. Files can be uploaded directly to SoundCloud, then you can share that link to Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ timelines with a single button. A free SoundCloud account can be created, giving you up to three hours of uploaded recordings.
* Your smartphone must support Wi-Fi connections. Since direct connection is used, connection with other Wi-Fi networks will not be possible when in use.
* After files are transferred, the smartphone must be connected to the internet in order to upload to SoundCloud.
Wirelessly Transfer Files to Your Computer
A free app for Mac and Windows called File Transfer allows you to move selected recordings from the DR-44WL to your computer over Wi-Fi.
* The computer must support Wi-Fi connections. Since direct connection is used, connection with other Wi-Fi networks will not be possible when in use.
Automatic Features Streamline Recording Setup
Even as a professional recording device, the DR-22WL has numerous automatic functions that can make recording easier for anyone. Numerous automatic recording functions combine with functions that simplify file management.
Peak Reduction and Limiter
These functions automatically adjust the recording level in response to the input level. The peak reduction function automatically lowers the level if an input overload is detected, optimizing the recorded sound. The limiter reduces excessive input levels without changing the input level setting.
Automatic Track Creation by Time
The DR-44WL can automatically create a new file and continue recording without interruption when a set amount of time has elapsed. This function is convenient when recording for long periods of time. For example, when set to 5 minutes, a new file will be created automatically every 5 minutes when recording. These files can be combined later in your audio editing software for seamless playback. Manual file increment is also possible by pressing the Record button during recording.
Automatic Track Creation by Level
The DR-22WL can create a new track every time a level threshold is passed. This can split a concert recording into tracks, and can be useful when digitizing another recording like a cassette, DAT, or vinyl record.
Automatic Mark Function
Marks can be added to files when high levels or peaks are detected. When set to a level, marks can be added automatically at the points when songs end. When set to peak detection and used together with the peak reduction function, these marks will identify the points where peaks were detected – making it easy when using audio editing software on a computer. You can also add markers manually while recording.
This function can divide files where marks are added. When used together with the automatic marking function, long recordings can automatically be divided into files with individual songs. Files can also be divided manually.
- Multitrack Mode For Serious Demo Production
The DR-22WL is a powerful tool for songwriters. In Overdub mode (DUB), the DR-22WL is able to record one track at a time on top of the previous recording. You can produce studio-quality music files using just the portable DR-22WL. A reverb effect is also included to sweeten your mix.
Nondestructive Overdubbing function
The overdubbing function allows additional recording on top of a previously recorded file, making the DR-22WL the perfect tool for songwriters. Capture a guitar riff idea, then add a melody on top of that. Record a jam in your rehearsal studio, then work out lyrics later. Create a file with an voiceover added to background music. A new file is created when overdubbing, so the original file is retained without changes.
Internal Reverb Effect
A stereo reverb effect can be added either during recording or playback. Presets for halls, rooms and other standard environments can be utilized to suit the user and type of music. This effect can be applied during recording and playback to give your recordings a sense of space.
Supported WAV recording formats: 44.1k/48k/96kHz, 16/24bit, WAV/BWF
Supported MP3 recording format: 44.1k/48kkHZ, 32k to 320kbps, MP3
Recording media: microSD/SDHC/SDXC card (up to 128GB SDXC card)
Cardioid stereo condenser microphones fixed in X-Y position
High sound pressure design captures levels up to 120dB SPL
PGA (programmable gain amplifier) and Cirrus Logic CS42L52 audio codec for low-noise, high-performance audio recording
Scene Dial Presets for instant setup of common recording applications
Remote control, file transfer and streaming playback using 2.4GHz Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi connects directly to smartphone without a router
Full remote control using the free TASCAM app for iOS and Android
Recorded audio can be posted directly to SoundCloud using the TASCAM DR Control app.
Dual format recording function allows simultaneous recording of both WAV and MP3 files
Automatic level optimization functions (Peak Reduction & Limiter)
Low-cut filter with four selectable frequencies (40/80/120/220Hz)
Pre-recording buffer records up to 2 seconds prior to starting recording
Automatic track increment function that can be set according to the application (level, elapsed time or manual)
Auto recording function that can detect the sound input signal level and automatically start recording
Automatic mark function that adds marks according to set conditions (peak detection or manual)
Speed change (VSA) function for adjusting the speed from 0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments)
A-B Loop playback function that is convention for practicing music
- Automatic division function that divides files at marks (manual division also possible)
Reverb effect for vocal and instrument resonance
Automatic power saving function that prevents unnecessary waste of battery power
Resume function that retains the last stop position when power is turned back ON
File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or the date
Audio files created on computers can be played (Only in formats compatible with this product)
Built-in monaural speaker with an output of 0.3W
128×128 pixel oversized graphic LCD with backlight
USB 2.0 High-speed file transfer to a computer
Stereo mini headphone line output / Headphone output connector
Powered by four AA batteries, USB bus power, or AC adapter
Long-time operation of over ** hours is possible using just the internal batteries
Tripod attachment screw-hole
4GB microSD card is included
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).