- POWER: The Spanish Castle requires a center-negative 9-to-18VDC power adapter with at least 10mA of current (not included). Almost all power supplies meet this requirement, but check yours beforehand. There is no option for a battery.
- DIMENSIONS: 4.67" x 3.68" x 1.18" (119mm x 94mm x 30mm)
The year 1969: Not only was Led Zeppelin’s eponymous album released, but Woodstock took place in August. 1969 marks a turning point in the gear world also; it was the year that Dallas-Arbiter switched Fuzz Face production from the lower-gain germanium transistor core to readily available higher-gain silicon devices. Our Spanish Castle pays tribute to this year.
Packed to the turrets with fuzz spread across two separate and footswitchable If 6 Was 9 circuits, the Spanish Castle is the perfect device for the fuzz-crazy and fuzz-curious alike. Combining both Fuzz Face eras with a little contemporary magic is what we do around here.
The right side of the Spanish Castle represents the warmer pre-’69 circuit and is equipped with low-gain silicon transistors that emulate the rich character of germanium with more stable and consistent operation. Carbon-composition resistors further round everything out for a sound that is just like they used to roll them off the line. Unlike the Faces of yore, this circuit is equipped with a bias circuit to dial in just the right flavor, and cleans up like a champ. The original tenant of the Spanish Castle would have loved it.
On the left side, our post-’69 If 6 Was 9 circuit lies in wait. This wing of the Spanish Castle offers up higher-gain silicon transistors for a more buzzsaw-like grind, metal film resistors for tighter tolerances and an extended bias range for dialing in ripping gated fuzz textures as well as full-bodied snarl.
Each side offers up two toggle switches—Color is a three-position switch that adjusts the EQ of its respective side, from flat EQ to two settings that shave off treble and mids. The Input toggle is also a three-position switch, changing gain and bass values that make the Spanish Castle adapt better to your wahs and other pedals.
If that’s not enough control for you, each side contains an internal switch that changes between Bold and Comp modes, the former increasing the output and midrange, and the latter offering a softer, more compressed tone.
Please enjoy your stay in the Spanish Castle. You’d better make yourself at home. You’re going to be here a while.
Most Fuzz Face-style pedals only produce usable fuzz amounts at the end of the knob. Not ours. Each Fuzz knob is designed to give you an even sweep of fuzz throughout.
These knobs vary the voltage to the collector of of the second transistor, giving you burlier (clockwise) or leaner/gated fuzz tones (counter-clockwise).
Gives you more output than vintage-style Fuzz Faces. Note: when running both sides at once, Side B’s Vol control becomes the “master volume” while Side A’s control becomes a “saturation” control.
These three-position switches adjust the EQ of the side they’re found on. The center position of each switch bypass the EQing, while the “left” positions shave a small amount of treble and scoop a small amount of mids from their respective sides. The “right” positions shave an even greater amount of treble while scooping a greater amount of mid frequencies.
These three-position switches adjust the input attenuation and wah friendliness of the side they’re found on. The “right” positions leaves its respective side alone with regards to attenuation. The center positions heavily cut gain and bass, while the “left” positions mildly cut gain and bass. The center and left positions help adapt the Spanish Castle to a more wah-friendly fuzz.
UNDER THE HOOD
Bold/Comp (internal DIP):
Each side contains a DIP switch that toggles between Bold and Comp settings. The Bold side increases the output level and the midrange content, while Comp delivers a softer and more compressed tone. The default setting is with Comp on.
- Input: Instrument or other pedal goes here (right side).
- Output: Amplifier or other pedal goes here (left side).
- True bypass footswitches: Turns each side of the effect on and off.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).