- Ken Smith BSR White Tiger
- 5-String Bass
- Bookmatched Highly Figured Flame Tiger Maple Top and Back
- Black Walnut Core
- 5-Piece Laminated Aged Hardrock Maple and Ovankol/Shedua Neck
- Graphite Inlaid Bars
- Matching Headstock Overlay
- Macassar Ebony Fretboard
- 1 3/4" Nut Width
- 34" Scale (Best Low-B In The Business!)
- 24 Frets
- Classic Hand Rubbed Dutch Varnish Over Stradivari Gold Oil (Ken's Secret Sauce)
- Gold Smith Hardware & Dunlop Flush Mount Straploks
- Ken Smith Custom Humbuckers
- "NEW" Smith B.M.T. 3-Band EQ 18-Volt Preamp
- Series/Parrallel Switches for Each Pickup
- Smith QSR (quick string release) Solid Brass Bridge
- Includes Hardshell Case
- Instrument Weight: 9.8 lbs.
Music Store Live is proud to offer up this Ken Smith White Tiger 5-String bass! Step right up, folks! It doesn't get much better than this.
Every once in a while we get some basses here at the shop that make everyone just stop everything they're doing to check them out. That's exactly what happened when we got in our first shipment of Ken Smith basses. To say that these are the epitome of hand-made, boutique, expert lutherie is not even beginning to scratch the surface. Saying that every single detail, no matter how large or small, of this instrument is given the most meticulous attention really only begins to explain how precise the build quality of this bass is.
Ken Smith's basses have long been known for having an extremely growly, punchy, tight/focused, and modern sound. They're hugely popular in the R&B/Soul and Funk worlds but then again, Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead also used one for a while. The tone of this bass is aggressive and in-your-face. The bass growls like a hungry tiger. It's a thing of beauty! It feels like having a Ferrari under your fingers. It is possible to tame the aggressive growl into a mellower purr with the re-designed pre-amp. All of the classic hi-fi Smith tone is still available, but with the ability to tame the tiger, if you so choose to. Slapping on this beast is pure blissful joy! Fingerstyle lines feel like they carry a punch to the face with each note. You couldn't make this bass sound muddy if you were trying to! Everything about it is designed for clear, tight, articulate, defined, punchy, and growly thumping.
Having had the luxury of playing some of the greatest basses in the world, made by some of the greatest bass luthiers, ranging in all sorts of price points, I have to admit to never having had the sort of emotional response (of pure joy) that happened when I first picked up this Ken Smith White Tiger to review it. This is no B.S.!
If you're going for that more modern and hi-fi kind of tone, it just simply and truly does not get any better than this! There's a reason we're barely even talking about the way it looks... As you can see in the photos, this bass looks stunningly beautiful. The flame maple top and back are gorgeous and matching headstock is a beautiful touch. We think it really says something when, despite how awesome the bass looks, all of that can be easily overshadowed by the immaculate playability and impressively powerful tone that this badass instrument can provide. But we aren't the only ones that feel this way... Stanley Clarke, Anthony Jackson, Marcus Miller, Gary Grainger, Phil Lesh, Freddie Washington, Melvin Davis, and so many more big-name, professional bassists all have Ken Smiths in their arsenals. These guys are choosing with their ears and their fingers, not their eyes. Luckily, with one of these, they look as incredible as they sound so you don't have to make any compromises.
We purchased dozens of Black Walnut trees (logs) about 12-15 years ago, sliced them up and air dried all the Lumber here in our building. Only about 1% of Walnut Lumber has figured sections (Black Walnut is usually unfigured). On occasion, a piece is discovered with Rare Crotch Feather, Circular Grain, Criss/Cross Figure, or a Flame Pattern. Ken has “cherry picked” pieces of this rare Figured Walnut to make this special model. The enhanced beauty, construction and tone is a perfect match for this rare Limited Edition Model.
The Black Tiger now has a sister model, the “White Tiger”. The Tiger Maple used for the Top & Back has acclimated for many years in the building as well and is mixed with the same Black Walnut for the Body Core.
Our in-house guitar tech has inspected, tested, set up, and cleaned all of our instruments on site prior to shipping. All of our instruments are guaranteed to be fully functional upon arrival.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - No Hassle Returns - 30 Day Trial Period
At Music Store Live, we are proud to offer free shipping on just about everything we sell. We’ve also got one of the best return policies in the business giving you a full 30 day trial period that starts when you receive your order for all new* items. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped, we’ll provide you with return authorization information to send it back for an exchange, a refund, or in-store credit. But no matter what, we’ve got your back and we are here to help make sure you end up with the right gear for you. You’ll never be stuck with something you aren’t happy with.
Return Policy Details
What if there’s something defective with the item I purchased or it arrived with shipping damage?
We’ve got some of the best guitar techs around to test out every instrument before it leaves our shop and give everything a full setup. We’re confident your order will arrive ready to rock right out of the box. Our awesome warehouse staff put time and care into packaging your order up to make sure it all arrives to you safely. But let’s be honest, once in a blue moon stuff happens that’s out of anyone’s control. If you received an item which you believe is faulty, shows signs of shipping damage, or in any way doesn’t meet your expectations based on the description in the listing, please do not hesitate to contact one of our Gear Experts. No matter what happens, we want to make it right! (note: If you believe there to be shipping damage, please do not discard the packaging that your order came in and please make sure to contact us within 24 hours of receiving your delivery)
What if I’m not liking it or it’s just not working out for me?
Is something you purchased from us just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from Music Store Live. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us within 30 days of delivery*. You are welcome to return it for a refund, an exchange, or in-store credit.
- Please allow 2-4 business days from the receiving date for returns to be processed.
- If your purchase qualified for free shipping, we may withhold our outbound shipping costs from any refunds processed as part of the return.
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. Anything sent back to us must have an RMA number and we may refuse returns that did not receive prior authorization.
- Return the item(s) in its original packaging and in a way that will help ensure its safe arrival back to us.
- Just as we’re responsible for getting your order to you safely, you are responsible for returning the item(s) to Music Store Live in its original condition. Please take care with packaging it back up and preparing it for the return shipping journey. We recommend you add insurance to higher value items when sending them back.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL but is not to exceed 15% under typical circumstances.
- * B-Stock, C-Stock, E-Stock, Open Box, and Used items are subject to a 7-day trial period.
Is there anything that you guys won’t take back or that does not apply to your return policy?
We definitely want to work with you and be as flexible as we can to earn your business and to make sure you’re happy with everything you purchase from us. Unfortunately, there are some things that we simply cannot take back once it’s sold. That includes:
- Custom orders or instruments with modifications (pickup installs, straplock installs, tuner installs, etc)
- Software or authorization keys
- Guitar amp tubes or cabinet speakers
- Pickups that have been installed
- Strings that have been installed
- Drum heads and cymbals that show signs of use
- Personal items (earphones, harmonicas, instrument mouthpieces, etc.)
- Turntable cartridges
- Control vinyl
When sending back a return, please make sure that the return merchandise authorization number (RMA) provided by one of our Gear Experts is clearly written on the label of your return. To help avoid any restocking fees, please don’t write anything on the packaging. Please return all of the original packaging and its contents. We must receive the item/order back in a condition that allows us to resell it in the same condition it was originally in when we sent it out.
Your return label should look something like this:
Music Store Live
Attn: RMA XXXXX
300 W. 28th St, ste 102
National City, CA 91950
(Note: Purchases made through third party marketplaces such as eBay, Reverb, or Amazon have their own policies and criteria for returns. Please ask if you have any questions regarding that process.)
Shipping Policy Details
In most cases we ship new orders out within 1 business day of receiving payment. Here are some things to note:
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment. If you need to use a shipping address that differs from your billing address, feel free to contact a Music Store Live Gear Expert and we can help you out.
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company. If you’d like it held at a local FedEx facility, for example, please provide us with the full address of that facility before your order is shipped. This works out better than trying to re-route it once it’s in transit.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery please request it when requesting your order. Whether you choose to or not, we will still assume all of the responsibility in getting your item to you safely.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.