- Sandberg California VM-5
- 5-String Bass
- Cream Hardcore Reserve Aged Finish
- Alder Body
- Canadian Hard Rock Maple Neck
- Maple Fretboard
- Zero Fret
- 34" Scale
- 14" Fretboard Radius
- 45mm (1.77") Nut Width @ Zero Fret
- Thin D-Shape Neck
- Neck Thickness: 21mm @ 1st Fret
- Graphite Nut
- 3-Ply White Pickguard
- Aged Chrome Hardware
- Sandberg Reverse Split-Coil and Power Humbucking Pickups
- Glockenklang Custom 2-Band Preamp (9V)
- Controls: Volume (push/pull for active/passive), Blend, Bass, Treble
- Thermo Treatment
- Sandberg Custom Bridge: 18mm - 19.5mm Adjustable String Spacing
- Sandberg Deluxe Padded Case
- Instrument Weight: 9.2 lbs
- Made In Germany
Music Store Live is proud to be an official Sandberg dealer! Made in Europe, with the finest German engineering, this bass will slap a smile on your face that you just can't shake. This specific bass is what I like to call a "temptation bass". Meaning, it's so good that if someone doesn't scoop it up soon, it's going to come home with me and I'll have some 'splainin to do to my wife. Once we got it into the shop and I got it into my hands, it had to be pried away from me. It's just one of those instruments that makes you go "ahh, yes... This is what a bass is SUPPOSED to feel like!" So keep me out of trouble and give this a good home for me, will ya?
Sandberg basses are already very well known over in Europe and are now gaining popularity here in the U.S. for being some of the finest hand-made boutique basses available. The playability is just simply off the charts. Whether you're a 4-string player or used to 5-strings, you'll feel right at home on this one. The aging on the neck is done in all the right places so that it looks authentic without any hindrance to your playing. In other words, there aren't any scratches or dings (as a result of the aging process) where your hand is on the neck. So you get the look and feel of a well-worn bass but with the playability of a new and modern masterpiece. The bass looks really cool, but the fun really starts once you put it in your hands. Along from the simply divine neck, you'll notice a very flat fretboard on there. This makes grooving or playing fast licks a breeze up and down the fretboard. Runs that require string skipping are a breeze and even if you make your living on just the first 5 frets, you'll want to explore the entire neck/fretboard on this because it's just so easy to do so. The B-string, even though this is a 34" scale bass, is incredibly tight and punchy.
As well as being effortless to play, this Sandberg VM-5 comes loaded with some powerful and thoroughly kickass electronics. The first thing you're likely to notice are the huge pole pieces on the P-style pickup. Next you'll probably notice that the split-coil pickup is placed in opposite orientation that you might traditionally find it. This is a brilliant adaptation of a tried and true design. By placing the B, E, and A string pole pieces closer to the bridge, you end up with a tighter, punchier, and more focused tone on the bass strings while having a slightly fuller and rounder sound out of the D and G treble strings. The resulting tone is one that will sit perfectly in a mix, no matter how many other instruments are playing along with you, and will never be muddy or indistinct. Add to that, the zero fret, and you truly have a bass with even response across all strings AND fretted as well as open strings.
Rest assured, you can still achieve traditional P-bass tones with this as well. Overall, along with tightening up the bass response and providing fuller treble response, the giant pole pieces on the pickups help produce a powerful tone that is rich with just enough mid-range while still having loads of that P-bass wooliness we've all come to know and love. Located directly behind that is a big MM-style humbucker to add bite, growl, and attack to your notes. By adding that humbucker close to the bridge, you can achieve super growly and barky tones that compliment the P-pickup or stand out on their own with the pickup solo'd. The ability to run this in active or passive mode only further adds to the immense versatility found here. A simple 2-band boost/cut EQ allows you to tweak your sound on the fly, without every having to turn around and fiddle with your amp knobs. For a more vintage sound, just pull the volume knob to disengage the preamp and you'll instantly be transported to bass sounds of the 60's and 70's. With the preamp engaged you can really dial in a huge array of tones ranging from modern hi-fi to old-school and vintage.
Sandberg Guitars was founded back in 1986 by Holger Stonjek and Gerd Gorzelke. Since then, they have been producing hand-made instruments at the highest quality. This bass features Sandberg's newest version of the California body shape and their Hardcore Aged Reserve relic process. The alder body’s previously even rear bouts now have a decidedly offset vibe. The lower horn has less mass and the cutaway is deeper. The neck pocket goes a bit deeper into the body as well to help with the transference of vibrations. Overall these will weigh a bit less than older California body shapes and will have excellent balance when worn with a strap standing up. Similar to their Hardcore Aged look, designed to give the instrument a look of having spent 20 years on the road, this process includes slightly aged fretboard and an aging at the neck sides along with authentic relic job on the body, pickguard, and headstock. All Reserve built basses have worn pickup covers and hardware while also receiving the Thermo Treatment.
Music Store Live is proud to be an authorized Sandberg Guitars dealer. Along with our amazing inventory, we can custom order any Sandberg bass or guitar you'd like.
This Sandberg California VM-5 is 100% brand new and is being sold by an authorized dealer with full manufacturer's warranty. Photos are of the exact bass you'll receive.
Our in house guitar tech has inspected, tested, and cleaned all of our instruments on site prior to shipping. All of our instruments are guaranteed to be fully functional upon arrival.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).