- Sandberg California TM-5 Rarewood (NAMM 2019 Exhibition Model)
- 5-String Bass
- Buckeye Burl Top - Matching Headstock
- Chambered Mahogany Body
- Maple Neck
- Ebony Fretboard - White Pearl Block Inlays
- Delano JMVC5 and MC5FE Pickups
- Sandberg 2-Band Preamp (9V)
- Controls: Volume (push/pull for active/passive), Blend, Bass, Treble (treble knob functions as passive tone in passive mode)
- Mini-Toggle for Single-Coil and Humbucking Bridge Modes
- Sandberg Custom Bridge: 18mm - 19.5mm Adjustable String Spacing
- Sandberg Gig Bag Included
- Serial #: 32722
- Instrument Weight: 8.5 lbs.
- Made In Germany
Music Store Live is proud to be an official Sandberg dealer! Made in Europe, with the finest German engineering, this bass will slap a smile on your face that you just can't shake. This one is quite the head-turner with a gorgeous buckeye burl top and it's chambered to alleviate some of the weight and comes in at a mere 8.5 lbs. This is one of those basses that inspires you to play more bass! It did suffer a small injury while at the Sandberg booth at NAMM in early 2019. But really it's not even noticeable unless you're looking for it due to its location on the body of the bass and it means the bass has a nice discount to it!
Sandberg basses are already very well known over in Europe and are now gaining popularity here in the U.S. for being some of the finest hand-made boutique basses available. The playability is just simply off the charts. Whether you're a 4-string player or used to 5-strings, you'll feel right at home on this one. The B-string, even though this is a 34" scale bass, is incredibly tight and punchy. The mahogany body also helps to really tighten up the notes while the maple neck and ebony fretboard add some nice brightness to the top end.
As well as being effortless to play, this Sandberg TM-5 comes loaded with some powerful and thoroughly kickass electronics. The first thing you're likely to notice are the huge pole pieces on the Delano JMVC J-style pickup. This is a brilliant adaptation of a tried and true design. The resulting tone is one that will sit perfectly in a mix, no matter how many other instruments are playing along with you, and will never be muddy or indistinct. It's got a bit more mid-range punch to it than traditional vintage single coils as well as being hum-cancelling. Right behind that is a MM-style humbucker (also made by Delano) that allows you to get a growly and thick tone or you can split it to turn the bass into a more traditional J bass vibe. The two pickups combine for a huge array of tonal versatility. Add to that the zero fret (we love this feature) and you truly have a bass with even tonal and playing response across all strings as well as fretted and open strings.
Rest assured, you can still achieve traditional J bass tones with this as well. In passive mode, this bass achieves more some more vintage J bass sounds, while still maintaining that characteristic of a slightly more prevalent and punchy mid-range. Overall, along with tightening up the bass response and providing fuller treble response, the giant pole pieces on the pickups help produce a powerful tone that is rich with harmonics and responds well to dynamics in your playing syle. A simple 2-band boost/cut EQ allows you to tweak your sound on the fly, without ever having to turn around and fiddle with your amp knobs. The mini-toggle switch puts the bridge pickup in either single-coil or humbucking mode. For a more vintage sound, just pull the volume knob to disengage the preamp and you'll instantly be transported to bass sounds of the 60's and 70's. With the preamp engaged, you can really dial in a huge array of tones ranging from modern hi-fi to old-school and vintage. From round and thumpy, to bright and snappy.
There really aren't too many tones that you can't achieve with this combination of pickups. Add to that the expert craftsmanship that all Sandberg basses share, the uniquely beautiful aesthetics of the rarewood burl top used, all coming in nice and light so you'll always be comfortable, and you've got a true winner here!
Sandberg Guitars was founded back in 1986 by Holger Stonjek and Gerd Gorzelke. Since then, they have been producing hand-made instruments at the highest quality. This bass features Sandberg's California body shape. The body is made out of alder and the neck is Canadian hard rock maple with a maple fretboard. Delano pickups and a custom wound Glockenklang 2-band preamp, made just for Sandberg, round out the electronics.
Music Store Live is proud to be an authorized Sandberg Guitars dealer. Along with our amazing inventory, we can custom order any Sandberg bass or guitar you'd like.
Music Store Live is proud to be an authorized dealer for Sandberg. This TM-5 Rarewood was used as part of the Sandberg NAMM booth display in 2019. It does have a blemish on the side of the body. It is not noticeable while in a playing position and does not impact the integrity, functionality, sound, or playability of the bass. But we have discounted this down from $3,499 to offer you an incredible deal on this bass.
Our in-house guitar tech will inspect, test, set up, and clean all of our instruments on site prior to shipping. All of our instruments are guaranteed to be fully functional upon arrival.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).