Music Store Live Policies
Free Shipping - No Hassle Returns - 30 Day Trial Period
At Music Store Live, we are proud to offer free shipping on just about everything we sell. We’ve also got one of the best return policies in the business giving you a full 30 day trial period that starts when you receive your order for all new* items. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped, we’ll provide you with return authorization information to send it back for an exchange, a refund, or in-store credit. But no matter what, we’ve got your back and we are here to help make sure you end up with the right gear for you. You’ll never be stuck with something you aren’t happy with.
Return Policy Details
What if there’s something defective with the item I purchased or it arrived with shipping damage?
We’ve got some of the best guitar techs around to test out every instrument before it leaves our shop and give everything a full setup. We’re confident your order will arrive ready to rock right out of the box. Our awesome warehouse staff put time and care into packaging your order up to make sure it all arrives to you safely. But let’s be honest, once in a blue moon stuff happens that’s out of anyone’s control. If you received an item which you believe is faulty, shows signs of shipping damage, or in any way doesn’t meet your expectations based on the description in the listing, please do not hesitate to contact one of our Gear Experts. No matter what happens, we want to make it right! (note: If you believe there to be shipping damage, please do not discard the packaging that your order came in and please make sure to contact us within 24 hours of receiving your delivery)
What if I’m not liking it or it’s just not working out for me?
Is something you purchased from us just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from Music Store Live. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us within 30 days of delivery*. You are welcome to return it for a refund, an exchange, or in-store credit.
- Please allow 2-4 business days from the receiving date for returns to be processed.
- If your purchase qualified for free shipping, we may withhold our outbound shipping costs from any refunds processed as part of the return.
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or call (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. Anything sent back to us must have an RMA number and we may refuse returns that did not receive prior authorization.
- Return the item(s) in its original packaging and in a way that will help ensure its safe arrival back to us.
- Just as we’re responsible for getting your order to you safely, you are responsible for returning the item(s) to Music Store Live in its original condition. Please take care with packaging it back up and preparing it for the return shipping journey. We recommend you add insurance to higher value items when sending them back.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL but is not to exceed 15% under typical circumstances.
- * B-Stock, C-Stock, E-Stock, Open Box, and Used items are subject to a 7-day trial period.
Is there anything that you guys won’t take back or that does not apply to your return policy?
We definitely want to work with you and be as flexible as we can to earn your business and to make sure you’re happy with everything you purchase from us. Unfortunately, there are some things that we simply cannot take back once it’s sold. That includes:
- Custom orders or instruments with modifications (pickup installs, straplock installs, tuner installs, etc)
- Software or authorization keys
- Guitar amp tubes or cabinet speakers
- Pickups that have been installed
- Strings that have been installed
- Drum heads and cymbals that show signs of use
- Personal items (earphones, harmonicas, instrument mouthpieces, etc.)
- Turntable cartridges
- Control vinyl
When sending back a return, please make sure that the return merchandise authorization number (RMA) provided by one of our Gear Experts is clearly written on the label of your return. To help avoid any restocking fees, please don’t write anything on the packaging. Please return all of the original packaging and its contents. We must receive the item/order back in a condition that allows us to resell it in the same condition it was originally in when we sent it out.
Your return label should look something like this:
Music Store Live
Attn: RMA XXXXX
300 W. 28th St, ste 102
National City, CA 91950
(Note: Purchases made through third party marketplaces such as eBay, Reverb, or Amazon have their own policies and criteria for returns. Please ask if you have any questions regarding that process.)
Shipping Policy Details
In most cases we ship new orders out within 1 business day of receiving payment. Here are some things to note:
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment. If you need to use a shipping address that differs from your billing address, feel free to contact a Music Store Live Gear Expert and we can help you out.
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company. If you’d like it held at a local FedEx facility, for example, please provide us with the full address of that facility before your order is shipped. This works out better than trying to re-route it once it’s in transit.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery please request it when requesting your order. Whether you choose to or not, we will still assume all of the responsibility in getting your item to you safely.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
Our standard international shipping service is FedEx International, which allows us to offer the fastest and most reliable international shipping options. We can also use USPS if you prefer. Contact us via our live chat or at firstname.lastname@example.org for a shipping quote.
Every country has its own policies regarding import duties and taxes. You may be required to pay additional VAT and tariffs upon receiving your order. Please verify what the import costs for your specific country may be prior to placing the order as this is not something that we cover from our end. These fees are unrelated to the shipping charge that we add to the order.
Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions regarding international shipping. We've been doing this for a long time and our Gear Experts are standing by to help you out.
If you’re looking to place a custom order for your dream piece of gear, we’re here to help! We’re authorized dealers for all of the manufacturers that we carry. If there’s something you want that you’re not seeing in stock at our store, chances are we can get it for you. And if what you really want is a custom piece made just for you, to your exact specifications, well, we’re here to help with that too! Ordering custom builds for our customers is one of our specialties. Whether you need guidance figuring out what specs are best suited for you, or if you already know exactly what you want, or you’re looking to see if a radical guitar that came to you in your dreams can be built by a manufacturer out there, our Gear Experts can get those answers for you.
Here are some of the guidelines for placing custom orders:
- You’ll be asked to pay a 25% non-refundable deposit for your order. This is required in order for us to place the order with the manufacturer for you.
- The remaining balance is due when we receive your custom item. We will inspect it and notify you when it’s ready. Upon receiving the rest of the payment we can ship it out.
- We know how tempting it can be to pine over the details of a custom order and want to make changes after the order has been submitted. While we’re happy to be as flexible as we possibly can be, much of this is out of our control. We urge you to have your final details solidified when the deposit is paid and the order is submitted to the manufacturer for production. Every manufacturer is different but we are their mercy as to whether or not any changes can be made after the order is placed. Expect that, in most cases, it will not be possible to make changes after the fact or that there may be a fee to make any changes. Our Gear Experts are here to help with every step of the way!
- Custom orders are not able to be returned unless it is due to an error on the manufacturer’s part when building the order.
- Custom builds, especially with guitars and basses, can take time. We’ll provide you with a general range of when the final product is expected and, along the way, we’ll be more than happy to get updates for you as we approach the original ETA provided by the manufacturer. The manufacturers do not provide us with regular updates on orders they’re working on. If you’d like to know where progress is on yours, feel free to just reach out and ask us to check for you. We’ll be happy to do so and report back to you.
See something you like but don’t want to fork over all of that money at once? No problem! Firstly, make sure that you’ve checked out our financing page to see if you qualify for that. Our Music Store Live Pick It Up financing allows you to get the gear you want right now, and pay for it over time. But if that doesn’t work for you, we can work with you on layaway plans as well. We’ll take a deposit down on the item and work out a window of time in which the remainder could be paid off in. When it’s all paid off, we’ll ship it to you, and you’re ready to rock!
Here are some guidelines for layaway orders:
- You’ll be asked to pay a 25% non-refundable deposit for your order. This is required in order for us to reserve the item(s) for you.
- We’d like to see layaway orders paid off within 1 month. But we’re flexible. Work with one of our Gear Experts to come up with a timeline that works for everyone.
- We reserve the right to assess a storage fee for every month that the layaway goes beyond the agreed upon timeline. This storage fee is usually $100 per month.
- Not all items will be eligible for layaway. Items which are already discounted, for example, cannot be reserved for layaway orders.