- Morph: One or more continuous (knob-type) parameters can be controlled by keyboard velocity and/or the Modulation Wheel/Control Pedal.
- Impulse Morphs: Both continuous (knobs) and switch parameters can have alternate value settings activated by Impulse Morph buttons. 7 unique Impulse Morphs possible by pressing a combination of the 3 buttons.
- Master Clock: The LFO rates, Arpeggio rate and Delay time can be synchronized to an internal or external (via MIDI) clock, with selectable rhythmic divisions.
- Mutator: Automatic program generator with adjustable style and strength.
- 49-key octave velocity sensitive keyboard (keyboard version only) with octave shift buttons, +/-2 octaves.
- 3 momentary Impulse Morph Buttons, 7 combinations.
- Keyboard Split with 2 slots for the upper and lower sections.
- Modulation Wheel (keyboard version only).
- Pitch Stick with no dead zone at zero crossing (keyboard version only).
- Programmable Pitch bend range, up to +/- 4 octaves
- Separate up/down bend range: -12 or -24 semitones, + 2 semitones
- 1 pedal input for sustain.
- 1 pedal input for expression pedal.
- 3 character LED display, 29 knobs and 20+ buttons for program and performance editing.
- OSC 1 generating sine, triangle, sawtooth, fixed and modulateable pulse waveforms and 128 wavetables.
- OSC 2 generating triangle, sawtooth or fixed and modulateable pulse waveforms or noise.
- OSC MOD section with Hard- and Soft sync plus 3 different Frequency Modulations of OSC 1 from OSC 2.
- Multi-mode filter with 12 dB (2-pole) low pass, 24 dB (4-pole) and 48 dB (6 pole) low pass, band pass, high pass, Ladder M and Ladder 303 characteristics.
- Cut off, Resonance, envelope amount, envelope amount controlled by velocity.
- ADSR envelope.
- Filter keyboard tracking can be set to off, 1/3, 2/3 or 1/1.
- Adjustable Filter Distortion.
- LFO 1 generates a square, triangle or any of 4 different types of saw- and inverted sawtooth waveforms. LFO 1 can be routed to Filter Frequency, Osc Mod, Osc Mix, Osc 2 Pitch, Amplitude and FX section. The modulation amount can be set as positive or negative/inverted. The LFO 1 rate can be synchronized to the Master Clock.
- The LFO 1 section is used to control the rate, range and directions for the arpeggiator. Arpeggiator: Range: 1 - 4 octave. Modes: up, down, up/down, random, Poly. The Arpeggio rate can be synchronized to the Master Clock.
- LFO 2 generates a square, a regular and inverted sawtooth, LF filtered noise and random staircase waveforms. LFO 2 can be routed to Filter Frequency, Osc Mod, Osc 1 and/or Osc 2 Pitch, Pan and Pulse width. The modulation amount can be set as positive or negative/inverted. The LFO 2 rate can be synchronized to the Master Clock.
- Modulation Envelope (Attack, Decay/Release) for Osc Mix, Osc Mod, Osc 1 and/or 2 Pitch, FX section and LFO 2 amount. The modulation amount can be set as positive or negative/inverted. The Modulation Envelope can be manually triggered by the Impulse Morph buttons.
- Patterns: the cyclic waveforms of the LFOs can be replaced by a pattern behavior. There are 128 different patterns, grouped in 6 different styles.
- ADSR envelope, velocity control on/off, gain control.
- Voice modes: Poly, Legato with portamento, Mono, True Unison 1, 2 & 3.
- Four program slots for layering possibilities.
- FX section with continuous Drive/Modulation control. Crush, Drive, 2 different Talk effects, Compressor and Comb Filter.
- Selectable Delay or Reverb. Delay times at up to 1400 ms can be manually set or synchronized to the Master Clock. Reverb has three algorithms, Room, Stage and Hall with adjustable brightness.
- Programs (single sounds): 4 x 99 locations
- Performances (multi sounds): 99 locations
- 4 outputs. Each slot can be assigned to its own output.
- Headphones output.
- High resolution low noise 24 bit DACs.
- All control knobs and switches send and receive control change messages.
- System exclusive bulk dumps. One program or all programs.
- Master Clock will sync to incoming MIDI clock.
- Soft Thru
- 4 Line Level Audio Outputs - ¼", 6,35 mm jacks, unbalanced
- Stereo Headphone Output - ¼", 6,35 mm stereo jack
- Sustain Pedal - ¼", 6,35 mm jack. Use a momentary pedal, like e.g., Roland DP-2, DP-6, Yamaha FC-4, FC-5, Fatar VFP1-25 etc.
- Control Pedal - ¼", 6,35 mm TRS stereo jack. Use a Yamaha FC-7, Roland EV-7, Roland EV-5, Korg EXP2 or Korg XVP10.
- USB connector with MIDI capabilities
- MIDI In & Out - 5 pin DIN connectors
- User Manual
- Power Cord with IEC C14 connector
- Nord CD ROM with Nord Sound Manager
- Rack Ears (Nord Lead 4R only)
- Nord Lead 4: 864 x 94 x 272 mm (34.0 x 3.7 x 10.7")
- Nord Lead 4R: 466 x 115 x 169 mm (18.3 x 4.5 x 6.6")
- Nord Lead 4: 5.3 kg (11.7 lbs)
- Nord Lead 4R: 3.35 kg (6.6 lbs)
The Nord Lead 4 is a subtractive synthesizer with 2 oscillators per voice. All the classic waveforms are present, Saw, Square, Sine, Triangle, Pulse and PWM.
The Nord Lead 4's Oscillator 1 section features a wide selection of wavetables including a unique type called Formant Wavetables with resonant qualities that are independent of pitch. Frequency Modulating the Formant Wavetables can produce some truly magic results with distinctive acoustic qualities.
Oscillator 2 features a Noise generator with a dedicated filter cut-off and resonance.
The true Voice Unison mode lets you stack up to four voices on top of each other per note (including the complete signal path of the Nord Lead 4) for really thick, wide leads and basses.
Hard & Soft Sync
Hard Sync generates an irregularly shaped waveform resulting in a harsh, dirty effect rich with harmonics, first made famous by the Prophet 5. Soft Sync is a bit smoother, but by no means subtle.
The Nord Lead 4 also features Frequency Modulator capabilities for adding spectral complexity and occasionally, nastiness.
LFO and Modulation section
Nord Lead 4 features two very flexible LFO-sections per slot. A wide selection of LFO-shapes is available from sines and pulses to ramping saws perfect for creating wobbling basses or pulsing pads.
Each LFO can easily be synchronized to the Master Clock and assigned a desired time division. The LFO can be re-triggered manually with an Impulse Morph button or a key. The LFO destinations include a unique option to modulate the FX section.
Nord Lead 4 offers a very capable Modulation Envelope section with an expanded choice of modulation destinations. The Modulation Envelope can also be triggered manually with an Impulse Morph button!
The filter section of the Nord Lead 4 features classic 12, 24 and 48 dB Low-Pass, High-Pass and a Band-Pass filters with a dedicated ADSR filter envelope and selectable filter tracking.
Ladder filter emulations
Two great new additions are the stunning emulations of the diode and transistor ladder filters from the legendary Mini and the TB-303 synthesizers. The emulations capture the dirty, squeaky resonance of the originals and combined with the new unison mode you’ll have plenty of opportunities for making fat, squelchy basses and leads.
The Filter Drive operates separately per voice, distorting the waveform before it passes through the effects sections.
The Impulse buttons are extremely powerful and let you alter your sound instantaneously – brilliant for creating spontaneous, synchronized rhythmic and tonal mayhem. Doubling the LFO rate, changing the oscillator from Saw to Square, enabling Glide, cranking up the resonance and muting the Reverb - all at once - for 2 seconds in the middle of your lead solo is now as easy as 1-2-3. Doing wobbly bass lines and complex choppy pads live, in perfect sync is a breeze! Impulse Morphs are a simple, yet universal concept that offers almost limitless flexibility.
Assigning an Impulse Morph is simple – just hold down an Impulse Morph button and turn the desired knob(s) to the desired new value! Nearly every parameter can be controlled with an Impulse Morph and LED-lights indicate which parameters have been altered. By pressing different combinations of the 3 Impulse Morph buttons up to 7 unique combinations are available, per slot.
Mod Wheel and Velocity Morph
The Morph is a classic Nord feature that lets you control any “knob-type” parameters with the modulation wheel, control pedal or velocity. The possibilities are endless – like changing arpeggiator range or adjusting the sample rate reducting Crush effect with the modulation wheel.
Each of Nord Lead 4's four slots has its own dedicated effects section: FX and Delay/Reverb.
The overdrive is modelled after a vintage tube amp. Make your lead sound a little “furry” or crank it up for a truly authentic overdrive that distorts increasingly the more signal you shove through it.
The Talk effect creates a voice-like talk-box effect, with two different simulations of a vocal tract.
The compressor effect offers Threshold adjustment and can also be modulated to obtain side-chain effects and more.
The Crush effect lets you reduce the sound’s sample rate radically. Give your bass line a subtle lo-fi touch or pulverize it into crackling, digital star dust.
The Comb filter effect can create chorus-like effects when controlled from an LFO or static spectral changes in your sound.
The Crush, Talk, Comb filter, Compressor and Drive effects can all be manipulated with the Morphs and Impulse Morph performance controls as well as with the LFO or the Modulation Envelope.
Reverb / Delay
The Delay effect has 3 feedback levels, a Dry/Wet control and the Delay tempo can be synchronized to the Master Clock. The Delay features an optional analog mode that behaves like an old school delay when changing the delay tempo on the fly...
A great sounding Reverb effect is available when not using the Delay, with dry/wet controls, 3 reverb types and a brightness control for rolling off the treble when desired.
Having 4 identical, equally powerful synthesizers at once at your disposal opens breathtaking layering possibilities, both rhythmically and sonically. The Split-mode gives you two 2 slots on each side of the split. A flexible Hold functionality lets you latch and hold slots independently in the background while playing something else on top.
The unique Pitch Stick can be used for bending notes as well as creating subtle vibrato effects, much like a guitarist or violinist as there is no dead zone in the middle position. The bend range can range from zero to 48 notes up/down and can be unique to each program. It's even possible to have separate bend ranges up and down: -12 or -24 semitones or + 2 semitone.
The handy Chord Memory function memorizes combination of notes so you can play a fifth or a chord with one finger, brilliant for leads and quirky themes.
The Nord Lead 4 includes a classic Arpeggiator with Up/Down and Random modes and a 4-octave range. The Arpeggiator can be synced to the LFO and Delay using the Master Clock. A new Poly mode pulses all the notes you’re holding as a chord instead of cycling through the individual notes, great for choppy chord stabs when combined with the new Patterns and Impulse Morph buttons. Having four slots means you can have 4 Arpeggios running at the same time!
The Pattern feature applies rhythmical figures to the Arpeggiator or the LFO's. A wide selection of patterns are available, ranging from basic building blocks to more complex groove oriented figures.
The Nord Lead 4 Mutator feature is a Automatic program generator with adjustable style and strength.
At the heart of the Nord Lead 4 is the Master Clock controlling the global tempo. The LFO, Arpeggiator and Delay can all be synchronized to the Master Clock. The tempo is easily changed globally with a Tap-tempo button so you can tap in to the beat of your drummer and play intricate rhythmically interlocked parts in perfect sync. The Master Clock can also be slaved to an external MIDI clock.
Nord Sound Manager
The Nord Sound Manager application, available for Mac OSX and Windows, makes organizing, backing up and transferring programs to your Nord Lead 4 a breeze.
- 2 oscillators per voice / 20 voice polyphony
- FM, Hard & Soft Sync
- 2 LFO sections plus Modulation Envelope
- Flexible syncing and routing options
- 12, 24 and 48 dB low-pass filters
- High-pass and Band-pass filters
- Transistor and diode ladder filter simulations of Mini and TB-303
- Crush, Drive, Comb filter, Talk, Compressor, Reverb/delay
- 4-part multi-timbral
- Master Clock Sync of Arpeggiator, LFO and Delay
- Impulse Morph
- Velocity and Mod Wheel Morph
- USB MIDI - No driver is required for Mac OS X, a WHQL certified driver is available for Windows.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).