- Keyboard: Multi touch keyboard / Step key
- Kick Generator
- Type: Analog synthesis
- Maximum Polyphony: 1 voice
- Structure: VCF (no input MS-20 Rev1 filter as resonator), Pulse Generator, VCA, analogue DRIVE, analogue TONE
- MS-20 Resonator: Pitch/Octave, Bend, Time
- Pulse: Colour, LevelAmp: Attack, Decay
- Tone: Low Pass Filter, 12 db/oct
- Number of Parts:
- Number of Steps: 1
- Number of Recording Patterns: 16 (each with its own sound program
- Controls: Pattern Chain, Motion Sequence, Touch FX, Active Step, Accent (On/Off, Depth), Slide, Bend Reverse, Roll (1/4, 1/2, 1/1, 4/3, 2/1, 3/1), Octave (1 Oct Up, 2 Oct Up), Sustain, Swing
- Audio Output: Headphones (3.5mm stereo mini jack
- Sync In (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Maximum input level: 20V)
- Sync Out (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Output level: 5V
- MIDI: In
- Power Supply: AA alkaline battery x 6 or AA nickel-metal hydride battery x 6 Or AC adapter (DC 9V) (optional)
- Battery Life: Approximately 10 hours (using alkaline batteries)
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 193 x 115 x 46 mm / 7.60” x 4.53” x 1.81”
- Weight: 377 g / 13.29 oz. (Excluding batteries)
- Included Items: AA alkaline battery x 6 (for verifying operation), Sync Cable
- Accessories: AC adapter (DC 9V)
The volca series has consistently brought renewed attention to classic groove machines and historical synthesis. It now has a new focus. This time, it's the most important sound in dance music: the kick.
The volca kick is an analog kick generator that's made for sound design. An analog circuit based on the powerful resonant sound of the original MS-20 filter, it lets you create a wide range of kick sounds only possible through analog circuitry, ranging from solid kick drums to crisp kick basses. The 16-step sequencer, a distinctive feature of the volca, now has a new Touch FX feature that lets you control an effect instantly, giving you even more live performance potential. Experience the stunning power of an analog kick that cannot be obtained from a plug-in or a sample.
Analog kick sounds generated by MS-20 filter oscillation
The volca kick generates powerfully present kick sounds using a completely analog circuit. To create those sounds, it uses not a typical sine wave, but the sound of an oscillating filter from the original MS-20. The powerful Rev.1 filter of the MS-20 self-oscillates when resonance is increased to the maximum, and this is used to produce powerful kick sounds with complex overtones.
Simple and effective parameters are provided, allowing you to freely design a wide range of kick sounds to your taste. Start the sound design process by using MS-20 RESONATOR (PITCH/BEND/TIME) to control the sense of pitch that generates the "body resonance" of the kick sound. Then use PULSE COLOUR/LEVEL to adjust the clip components to control the sense of attack, and AMP ATTACK/DECAY to intuitively control the decay of the sound. From tight kicks to fat, slow-decaying kicks, and pitched kick bass, it's possible to create kick sounds that are appropriate for every type of dance music.
Aggressively control the sound using DRIVE and TONE
In addition to the analog kick generator circuit based on the MS-20 filter, there's an analog drive that includes multiple stages of distortion. The distortion level and type can be varied by a single knob, increasing the variety and power of the kick sounds. You can use the tone control to transform the character of the sound by adjusting the high-frequency range.
Powerful kick bass that rules the beat
The volca kick is not just a kick drum machine. You can use the 16-key touch-panel keyboard to perform dynamic kick bass, and take advantage of the volca kick's powerful analog circuitry to generate the sub bass sound that's indispensable to dance music styles such as grime or trap.
Since the volca kick covers a wide pitch range from low- to mid-frequencies, your sequences can include a variety of sounds including low tom, high tom, and sound effects.
16-step sequencer allows automation of all parameters
The volca kick features a 16-step sequencer that gives you plenty of improvisatory freedom. You can use it to quickly lay out a kick drum pattern, and it also supports realtime recording, which is an ideal way to perform kick bass phrases. And the pattern chain function lets you connect multiple sequence patterns for successive playback, making it possible to construct large-scale developments of 32, 64, or even 256 steps by joining up to 16 sequences.
The volca kick’s motion sequence function records your knob movements, letting you add time-varying change to the sound. This is great way to polish your loops, and also lets you generate highly original live performances. Up to 16 sequence patterns and sounds can be stored in internal memory.
ACTIVE STEP generates new beats and bass lines by removing or inserting steps
Active step is a function that lets you skip a step during sequence playback. It can create effects similar to a short loop or unexpectedly irregular rhythms, allowing dynamic performances using the sequencer itself as a performance tool.
Use ACCENT, SLIDE, and BEND REVERSE to power-up your sequences
The volca kick lets you edit each step of the sequence in even more detail. The slightly unusual accent function lets you program accents per step (not per trigger) for groovy and sometimes glitchy sequences depending on how the ACCENT knob, which controls the depth of the added dynamics, has been set. The slide function creates the effect of a connection between steps, producing a smooth and distinctive kick bass. The bend reverse function can be specified for each step to play the bend backward, reversing the conventional kick pitch so that the pitch goes from low to high, and resulting in a unique sound. The volca kick lets you create unexpected and innovative sounds or sequences that transcend conventional kicks.
TOUCH FX controls realtime sequence effects with for instant cuts, breaks and fills
The new Touch FX function further strengthens the performance potential of the volca kick. You can instantly trigger a sequence effect simply by touching a step key, transforming your realtime performance in kaleidoscopic ways.
Sequence effects include the roll function that plays a sound repeatedly, the octave function that raises the pitch by one or two octaves, and the sustain function that immediately maximizes the amp decay. These are great ways to create punchy and powerful breaks
Playback can be synchronized with another unit
The volca kick provides a sync connector that can be easily connected to many of KORG's other synths and groove machines. Connect to other volca units, minilogue, electribe or SQ-1, and experience a session with synchronized sequencer playback. The MIDI IN jack lets you use the volca kick as a sound module for DAW and MIDI controller.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).