Keeley Monterey Rotary Fuzz Vibe Analog Guitar Effects Pedal
The Axis For A Bold New Tone
With the Keeley Monterey you take one step back in time and two steps forward. The Monterey is a surrealistic envelope of neo-vintage effects. It combines classic sounds with new interpretations to create a modern timbre and audio spectrum for guitarists.
The Keeley Monterey Rotary Fuzz Vibe has a vintage fuzz, rotary speaker, vibe, harmonic and auto wah, an octave up or octave down, as well an expression control to allow you to create a rich array of new and newer sounds.
There are two channels on the Monterey Rotary Fuzz Vibe, and these can be configured to give you five different sounds.
The right stomp switch activates the fuzz channel. The fuzz channel has been designed to give you a rich, full, classic two-transistor fuzz sound that is accurate yet has a touch of smoothness added. It is very responsive and dynamic. It plays well in any position on a Strat or Les Paul style guitar. At the heart of the fuzz are vintage Fairchild Semiconductor transistors. These moderate gain transistors offer the perfect fuzz tone and do not have the temperamental temperature related problems that germanium devices exhibit, while still giving you incredible tone.
The modulation channel is where the fun really starts. The Monterey Rotary Fuzz Vibe offers an Octave effect with both the Vibe and Wah sounds. With those two sounds you can either have Octave Up, Octave Down, or No Octave.
In the Center Position of the Octave Control you have NO octave up or down. If you turn the Octave Control up (or clockwise), you have an increasing octave up sound. As you turn the Octave Control down, you have an increasing amount of octave down sound added. Again, if you do not want an octave effect added, simply set the Octave Control to the center position.
The Monterey Rotary Fuzz Vibe features a very rich and deep vibe sound. The “Kool Vibe” setting is perfect for getting complex phaser-like sounds. It combines phasing and tremolo at key frequencies to give you incredible depth and rhythm. Not only does it match the frequency response of a vibe, it simulates the unique pulsing of a photo-cell based effect. You can add the Octave to the “Kool Vibe” for an amazing doubling effect or for an incredibly deep synth bass type sound.
The “Les Rotary” sound in the Monterey Fuzz Vibe is both very accurate and surprisingly new sounding. Like the original cabinet, this simulation joins both the lower drum and the upper horn into a rich, dimensional effect that generates an unmistakable chorus and tremolo soundscape. Not only is the cabinet itself simulated with very short reverberated reflections that offer a doubling effect, the Doppler Effect provides a soothing chorused sound that is clean and ethereal. The Octave Control in the Rotary cabinet simulation controls the volume of the horn or tweeter sounds. It does not produce an octave effect here. This allows you to get a very chorus-like effect with ample high-end detail when simulating a “Les Rotary” style cabinet. Set the Rate OFF for no rotation, turn the Fuzz on, and the Depth and Octave controls give you a wonderful speaker cabinet simulation. It’s fuzz with tonal control like you’ve never had before! Perfect for matching any size of power amp with the pedal’s fuzz to give you anything from dark overdrive to hard, edgy, squared fuzz!
The “Harmonic Wah” section combines several more new sounds from Keeley in the Monterey Rotary Fuzz Vibe. It is a fixed or cocked wah sound, an auto wah, a harmonic/tremolo wah, and even a regular foot-controlled wah when you add an expression pedal. With the Depth Control turned all of the way down/off you are in the Wah Mode. The Wah Mode gives you control over the frequency you boost by adjusting the Rate Control. If you have an expression pedal connected, it becomes a regular Wah Pedal. Turn the Depth control up a slight amount and the Monterey becomes an Auto Wah. In the Auto Wah mode, your pick attack and strength creates an envelope filter sound. After the noon/center position on the Depth Control, you have the new Harmonic Wah. It is like the harmonic tremolo on a brown face amp, but the frequencies are centered around a wah pedal instead. It’s ideal for players who like the rhythmic back-and-forth rocking sound of a wah pedal.
Add any expression pedal controller to the EXP input on the back and you have control over the Rate of the “Les Rotary” and “Kool Vibe” settings. In the “Harmonic Wah” setting, it controls the frequencies.
Want more sounds? Well OK, turn the unit over and take the bottom off. There is a tiny DIP Switch that allows you to change the order of the Fuzz and Modulation effects! Yes, you can get some crazy noise by putting fuzz after modulation effects, but it works! And works well at giving you insane tones that are thick and full. Let your ears gaze at the strangeness. Alien amplitudes of gain and fuzz. Endlessly creative.
The Monterey does not come with an expression pedal, as many players already have one they can use. We do offer the M-Audio expression pedal. It works well and is very reasonable. The Monterey is not battery powered. You will need a standard 9V 100mA supply, negative tip.
The Monterey Rotary Fuzz Vibe comes in 12 different graphic designs. Just like music which can be surprisingly rewarding, you’ll be surprised with a design. We will not be able to select a specific pattern that you may want. It is wonderfully random. They are hand made with the intention of becoming your new favorite instrument.
The Monterey is 4.7 inches wide, 3.72 deep and 2 inches tall with the knobs.
The unit does not take a battery. You will need a 9VD DC adapter, 100 mA negative tip supplies for effects are super common and that will work fine. Generally, any BOSS or Ibanez or Voodoo Lab supply will work.
In general most expression pedals will work just fine. I like the M-Audio and Moog because they are dependable and inexpensive.
- Rotary, Vibe, Harmonic Wah
- Thick Vintage Fuzz, Octave Up/Down
- Two channels can be configured to give you five different sounds.
- Comes in 12 different graphic designs. We will not be able to select a specific pattern that you may want. It is wonderfully random.
Strukture S6P48 Right-Angle Guitar Patch Cable 6 in.
- Length: 6 in.
- Jack: Right-angle
- High quality woven outer covering
- State-of-the-art shrink-wrap sleeve
- Thick ABS sleeve protects solder connections
- Dual right angle connectors
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).