A unique, useful and reliable instrument, the ASAT Z-3 might be the most underappreciated American guitar on the market. With the powerful, versatile electronics of the Comanche and the body of the ASAT, this axe fuses two of the most popular G&L designs into one all-purpose tone machine that stays true to the tradition of American sound while looking ahead. You can play pretty much anything on this guitar. Blues licks can sound raunchy and undercooked or thick and creamy, jazz lines can be mellow or crisp, heavily distorted runs can sing, scream or wail. You can riff in the low-end, but you can just as easily get your funk on with that middle pickup. Clean or distorted, this guitar can handle everything. The neck is extremely comfortable and will feel familiar to most players. It's just beefy enough to really dig in on, but not big enough to get in your way. If you're looking for something uniquely familiar that can tackle anything at all, this is the guitar for you.
Here is a video of the semi-hollow version of this guitar. Please note the guitar in this listing is a solidbody version which will have slightly more pronounced mids and a bit more high-end snap than a semi-hollow. The video can still serve to give you a good idea of what this guitar will sound like.
The G&L Comanche is Leo’s final word on the traditional double-cutaway bolt-on axe, and the ASAT Z-3 is like packing a Comanche into an ASAT body. Like the Comanche, the first thing you’ll notice about the ASAT Z-3 is the distinctive shape of the Magnetic Field Design Z-Coil pickups designed by Leo Fender himself. These pickups deliver a bright and sparkly top end while offering a robust bottom end, all without any 60-cycle hum.
You’ll find plenty of power in the Z-coil pickups, but what’s surprising is how glassy and detailed they become as you roll back the volume. What’s more, the ASAT Z-3 includes a push/pull tone pot to allow neck+bridge or all three pickups together. In a pinch, the neck+bridge combo does a convincing faux ASAT® Special. Talk about versatile! And like the ASAT Special, the Z-3 maximizes sustain with Leo’s Saddle-Lock™ bridge which transfers string energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument.
Founded by Leo Fender in 1980, the Comanche and all G&L USA instruments continue to be made in the historic G&L facility on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California, the Birthplace of Bolt-on.
Music Store Live is proud to be one of the top authorized G&L dealers on the planet. We do our best to stock inventory of what our team of experts feels is the best combination of specs, specifically so you don't have to wait for a custom order from G&L.
That said, if you haven't found what you're looking for, we would be happy to custom order a G&L for you. G&L’s factory works like a big custom shop, so it’s easy (and cheap) to get exactly what you want. Finish, body wood, fingerboard, pickguard, bridge, neck profile, neck finish, nut type, frets, tuners, binding – there are nearly 1 million possible combinations of specs on a G&L. We love helping our customers make their dream guitar, so don't hesitate to reach out to us if you want to make your custom G&L a reality!
NOTE: The photos above may not be of the actual item. Please feel free to call us toll free for an in hand description.
- G&L USA ASAT Z-3
- Swamp Ash Body
- Maple Neck
- G&L Modern C Neck Profile - This is the profile most G&L fans associate with the post 2000 era. 1 5/8” nut width, slight edge roll, medium taper from 0.830” to 0.960”. It starts off fairly slim and gets beefier up the neck. These specs were part of the #1 neck.
- Maple Fretboard
- 12" Fretboard Radius
- 1 11/16" Nut Width
- Bone Nut
- 22 Medium Jumbo Frets
- Dot Inlays
- Scale Length 25 1/2"
- 3 Magnetic Field Design Z-Coil Pickups
- Mini Toggle Switch - Enables Neck + Bridge or All Three Simultaneously
- 5 Way Switch
- G&L Solid Brass Top Loading Hardtail Bridge
- Chrome-Platted Brass Saddles
- G&L Sealed Tuning Machines 12:1 ratio, sealed lubrication, adjustable knob tension
- Chrome Hardware
- Black Pickguard
- G&L Deluxe Hard Shell Case
- G&L Owners Info, Certificate of Authenticity, and Specs Sheet Included
Our in house guitar tech has inspected, tested, and cleaned all of our instruments on site prior to shipping. All of our instruments are guaranteed to be fully functional upon arrival.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).