- Music Man StingRay Special 4 HH
- Jet Black Finish
- Select Ash Body
- Roasted Maple w/ Gunstock Oil and Wax Finish
- Ebony Fretboard
- 11" Radius
- 1 5/8" Nut Width
- 2x Music Man Neodymium Humbucker Pickups
- Redesigned 18V 3-Band Active Preamp
- Volume, Low, Mid, High Controls
- Scale Length 34"
- 22 Stainless Steel Frets - High Profile, Wide
- Black Hardware
- Schaller BM Tuners with Tapered Posts
- 5 Bolt Neck Plate
- Graphite Acrylic Resin Coated Body Cavity and Chrome Plated Brass Control Cover
- Molded Plastic Music Man Hard Shell Case and Case Candy
- Serial #: F78889
- Instrument Weight: 9.4 lbs.
This bass is a modern take on a classic, yet revolutionary design. After Leo Fender's near-death experience which caused him to sell Fender to CBS, he went to work for Music Man and paired up with the late great, Mr. Thunder Thumbs himself, Louis Johnson. Together they came up with a bass that had a more pronounced hi-mid range and treble response. It needed to growl and cut through the mix in a way that a P-bass and a J simply could not. The result was an active bass with a ton of power under the hood. Used in everything from disco, funk, and R&B to rock, punk, metal, blues, and even country, the StingRay has some killer in-your-face tone that still manages to avoid stepping on anyone else's toes. It has a tremendous resonance, incomparably tight lows and a punchy top end that's a total knockout.
The neck is very comfortable and satiny smooth with the gun oil finish, which makes for a comfortable feel and a fast ride all the way up and down. This is one of those instruments that's put together well enough to let you feel every little vibration of every note you play. The layout is easy to work with yet provides a wide variety of exceptional tones. This axe will make a killer companion on the road and in the studio.
The fretboard is made out of a jet-black ebony and pairs extremely well with the roasted maple neck. The ebony board provides a brighter tone than rosewood, similar to maple, but with a more balanced and present mid-range, which helps the bass stay defined and punchy in a dense mix. The stainless steel frets on the fretboard add a touch of brightness to the tone as well as lasting virtually forever. The figured and roasted maple neck is finished in gunstock oil and wax for a satin feel that makes you just want to keep playing this bass for days.
This configuration emphasizes all of the amazing qualities of the StingRay for an instrument that just sounds and feels unbelievable. The 18V preamp has all of the headroom you could possibly ever need. The neodymium magnets on the new pickups provide some solid punch and higher output than the old alnico ones. It's all designed to give you control and sonic power right at your fingertips. The idea for the StingRay special is a simple one: What would the StingRay be like if it had been invented and designed today, for today's music.
Ernie Ball Music Man has hit a home run with this redesign of the StingRay.
First introduced in 1976, the StingRay has been revered as one of the most iconic bass guitars in history. The StingRay was the first production four string bass to feature on-board active equalization. The flagship of the Music Man line, today's StingRay is the same as it was some forty years ago featuring a solid roadworthy construction, massive hardened steel bridge, elegant oval pickguard, 3+1 tuning key configuration, and the ever-popular Music Man humbucker. All of which combined produce a look, feel and sound that are remarkably unmistakable.
REIMAGINED - REBUILT FROM THE GROUND UP
Optimized, modernized, yet so familiar, the new StingRay bass is tailor-made for today’s most discerning players.
5-BOLT SCULPTED NECK JOINT
The sculpted neck joint provides uninhibited access to all 22 stainless steel frets atop roasted maple necks.
REFINED BODY CONTOURS
Enhanced body contours are rounded for more comfort in any playing position while retaining that revered, iconic StingRay sound.
REVOICED - POWERFUL NEODYMIUM PICKUPS
The new and improved StingRay electronics feature powerful neodymium magnets, bringing you more output and a wider range of sounds.
NEW 18-VOLT PREAMP
A newly designed 18-volt 3-Band preamp for extra clean headroom lets you dial in everything from modern punch to classic, vintage tones.
REBORN - LIGHTWEIGHT PERFORMANCE
Weighing in at an average of only eight and a half pounds, the StingRay is lighter than ever but still packs its signature punch.
Re-engineered lightweight tuning machines create a more balanced neck while still providing ultra-reliable tuning stability.
Music Store Live is proud to be an authorized Ernie Ball Music Man Premier Dealer. Along with our amazing inventory, we can custom order any EBMM piece you'd like.
Music Store Live is proud to be an authorized Premier Dealer for Ernie Ball Music Man. This StingRay Special is 100% brand new and is being sold with a full manufacturer's warranty. Photos are of the exact bass you'll receive.
Our in-house guitar tech will inspect, test, set up, and clean all of our instruments on site prior to shipping. All of our instruments are guaranteed to be fully functional upon arrival.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).