- G&L USA Doheny
- Lake Placid Blue Metallic
- Lightweight Empress Body
- Carribean Rosewood (aka Chechen) Fretboard - Similar to Pau Ferro in tonality
- Hard-rock Maple Neck - Satin Vintage Tint Finish
- G&L Modern Classic Neck Shape - 1 11/16” nut width with 1 5/8” string spacing allows a generous edge roll for superb comfort without string fall-off. Fairly slim with mild taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.870” at the 12th fret.
- 9.5" Fretboard Radius
- 22 Medium Jumbo PLEK'd Frets
- White Pearl Dot Fretboard Inlays
- Dual Fulcrum Vibrato Bridge
- 3-Ply Tortoiseshell Pickguard
- G&L MFD Wide-Bobbin Single-Coil Pickups
- 3-Position Pickup Selector Switch
- Chrome Hardware
- Model Logo Delete
- G&L Deluxe Hard Shell Case
- G&L Owners Info and Specs Sheet Included
- Serial #: CLF1711159
- Instrument Weight: 6.7 lbs.
This is a smooth, versatile, American-crafted offset JM style guitar, but with enough twists to really set it apart and at a price tag way below what it should be. The empress body on this makes it extremely lightweight. Tonally it's similar to swamp ash. Thanks to G&L's lightweight tuners, despite its light weight, this guitar balances very well and there's no neck dive or shoulder/back pain to worry about!
Tonally, you've got a wealth of tonal options at your fingertips. With the characteristic single coil top-end shimmer but a beefier midrange and bigger, but tighter bottom end than you might be used to, the Doheny has a unique and fully realized tonal identity that will enhance a whole range of styles. The neck is sublime! It's round and extremely comfortable everywhere, with easy access to the upper frets. The pickups sound simply divine and G&L's PBT system really adds a wealth of versatility to this traditional design with passive bass and treble roll-off controls. Leo's MFD pickup designs have always had a lot of power to them and have always been on the aggressive end of the spectrum (while easily being able to be tamed with the onboard passive bass and treble tone controls as well as playing technique).
We plugged this bad boy into an amp and listened in amazement as everything from bright, clean, and twangy, to dark, grungy, and heavy, to warm, mellow, and jazzy, to funky treble and bluesy distortion effortlessly translated from the guitar, through the amp, and every note was crystal clear, articulate, and defined.
Is this G&L's greatest invention in the last 25 years? Well... It definitely needs to be up there for serious consideration. But we'll let you make that call for yourself.
Inspired by the classic surf sound born in Southern California, the new G&L Doheny takes its name from the iconic beach in the heart of Orange County where '60s surf pioneers became legends. Since those halcyon days, both music and surfing have evolved far beyond their roots, and so has the performance of the gear.
Doheny takes the bolt-on offset-body into new sonic territory with newly developed Magnetic Field Design jazz pickups, the first on any production G&L. Naturally, these new pickups will invite comparison to Leo’s jumbo MFD ASAT Special pickups, given they employ a narrow bobbin aperture and broad coil splay. But Doheny's MFD pickups are more about jangle than twang, just as they should be for a guitar like this. With a classic jazz bobbin aperture wrapped with traditional Formvar wire, these pickups just might be the approach Leo would have taken had he been with us a few years longer.
So what’s it like? The sound is rich in harmonics yet surprisingly full, the result of carefully researching and applying Leo’s creative work across the decades. The Doheny pickups deliver the experience fans have hoped for, with their flexibility maximized by the PTB tone system that allows echoes of yesteryear while delivering more output and range for today’s music. Add in Leo’s finest vibrato for enhanced tuning stability and improved sustain, and the results are astounding.
Founded by Leo Fender in 1980, G&L USA instruments continue to be made in the historic G&L facility on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California, the Birthplace of Bolt-on.
Music Store Live is proud to be one of the top authorized G&L dealers on the planet! We do our best to stock inventory of what our team of experts feels is the best combination of specs, specifically, so you don't have to wait for a custom order from G&L.
With that said, if you haven't found what you're looking for, we would be happy to custom order a G&L for you. G&L’s factory works like a big a-la-carte custom shop, so it’s easy (and affordable) to get what you want. Finish, body wood, fingerboard, pickguard, bridge, neck profile, neck finish, nut type, frets, tuners, binding – there are nearly 1 million possible combinations of specs on a G&L. We love helping our customers make their dream guitar, so don't hesitate to reach out to us if you want to make your custom G&L a reality! Wait times are surprisingly short and most custom orders have an ETA of only 6-8 weeks from when the order is placed. As a premier G&L dealer, we are able to get expedited build times so we can get you the guitar of your dreams quickly!
Our in-house guitar tech has inspected, tested, set up, and cleaned all of our instruments on site prior to shipping. All of our instruments are guaranteed to be fully functional upon arrival.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).