- Ken Smith BSR Black Tiger
- 6-String Bass
- Rare Figured Walnut Top and Back
- Tiger Maple Core
- 5-Piece Laminated Aged Hardrock Maple and Ovankol/Shedua Neck
- Graphite Inlaid Bars
- Matching Headstock Overlay
- Macassar Ebony Fretboard
- 2 1/8" Nut Width
- 24 Frets
- 34" Scale (Best Low-B In The Business!)
- Classic Hand Rubbed Dutch Varnish Over Stradivari Gold Oil (Ken's Secret Sauce)
- Gold Smith Hardware & Dunlop Flush Mount Straploks
- Ken Smith Custom Humbuckers
- "NEW" Smith B.M.T. 3-Band EQ 18-Volt Preamp
- Series/Parallel Switches for Each Pickup
- Includes Hardshell Case
- Serial Number: 6TN680117
- Instrument Weight: 10.8 lbs.
Music Store Live is proud to offer up this Ken Smith Black Tiger 6-String bass! Step right up, folks! It doesn't get much better than this.
This bass is simply to-die-for! The weight is hardly noticeable as a result of a bass that is perfectly ergonomically designed and balanced. The playability is simply divine. The tone is punchy, defined, and articulate as can be. The figured walnut looks amazing and adds some nice growl to the notes. But, honestly, as gorgeous as this bass is, it's overshadowed by the immaculate craftsmanship, extraordinarily easy playability, and perfectly defined tone.
Ken Smith's basses have long been known for having an extremely growly, punchy, tight/focused, and modern sound. They're hugely popular in the R&B/Soul and Funk worlds but then again, Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead also used one for a while. The tone of this bass is aggressive and in-your-face. The bass growls like a hungry tiger. It's a thing of beauty! It feels like having a Ferrari under your fingers. It is possible to tame the aggressive growl into a mellower purr with the re-designed pre-amp. All of the classic hi-fi Smith tone is still available, but with the ability to tame the tiger, if you so choose to. Slapping on this beast is pure blissful joy! Fingerstyle lines feel like they carry a punch to the face with each note. You couldn't make this bass sound muddy if you were trying to! Everything about it is designed for clear, tight, articulate, defined, punchy, and growly thumping.
Having had the luxury of playing some of the greatest basses in the world, made by some of the greatest bass luthiers, ranging in all sorts of price points, I have to admit to never having had the sort of emotional response (of pure joy) that happened when I first picked up the first Ken Smith White and Black Tigers to review them. This is no B.S.! It was love at first sight.
If you're going for that more modern and hi-fi kind of tone, it just simply and truly does not get any better than this! There's a reason we're barely even talking about the way it looks... As you can see in the photos, this bass looks stunningly beautiful. The figured walnut top and back are gorgeous and matching headstock is a beautiful touch. We think it really says something when, despite how awesome the bass looks, all of that can be easily outdone by the immaculate playability and impressively powerful tone that this badass instrument can provide. But we aren't the only ones that feel this way... Stanley Clarke, Anthony Jackson, Marcus Miller, Gary Grainger, Phil Lesh, Freddie Washington, Melvin Davis, and so many more big-name, professional players all have Ken Smith basses in their arsenals. These guys are choosing with their ears and their fingers, not their eyes. Luckily, with one of these, they look as incredible as they sound so you don't have to make any compromises.
We purchased dozens of Black Walnut trees (logs) about 12-15 years ago, sliced them up and air dried all the Lumber here in our building. Only about 1% of Walnut Lumber has figured sections (Black Walnut is usually unfigured). On occasion, a piece is discovered with Rare Crotch Feather, Circular Grain, Criss/Cross Figure, or a Flame Pattern. Ken has “cherry picked” pieces of this rare Figured Walnut to make this special model. The enhanced beauty, construction, and tone is a perfect match for this rare Limited Edition Model.
Because of the limited amount of this Rare Figured Walnut, only a small number of “Black Tigers” can be made in proportion to other models.
Our in-house guitar tech has inspected, tested, set up, and cleaned all of our instruments on site prior to shipping. All of our instruments are guaranteed to be fully functional upon arrival.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).