Dynamic Shielded Full-Range Pair
90Hz - 17,000Hz (useful musical range)
Nominal 8 ohms
SPL / Sensitivity
93dB @ 1w / 1 meter
From 10-200 watts
5.25" cast aluminum frame
sealed / 18mm MDF / Dacron acoustical stuffing
3-way CE rated plastic encased metal binding posts (accepts up to 12-gauge wire, spade lugs, dual banana plugs)
6 lbs 11 oz (per speaker)
165mm x 165mm x 165mm (6 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" in)
Avantone PB LTD ED Passive Black MixCube Monitor
The Avantone MixCubes are shielded, full-range mini reference monitors.
Their design is inspired by the legacy of the 5C Sound Cubes used in virtually all-major studios for the last 25 years.
To build a full range, rugged, mini-reference monitor to replace the older, aging, 5C Sound Cubes that are still in use worldwide, while offering an improved, more linear frequency response. A full year was spent studying all versions & revisions of the famous little 5C Sound Cubes. Research revealed that there were several driver versions released over the years with widely varying frequency response characteristics. We chose the smoothest, most linear, full-range version of those 5C models to use as our testing benchmark. Next we analyzed their response characteristics in an anechoic chamber and proceeded to implement design upgrades. Realizing the importance of replacing a respected "industry-standard reference monitor" we began by replicating its basic size, function, and sonic character.
We wanted to take it up a notch though...
First, we addressed the Cabinet Design... The original 5C Sound Cubes were made of ½” particleboard covered with a glue-on wood grain contact paper. We chose to use thicker, denser MDF board because of its high rigidity and inherent low-resonance characteristics. We started with a 165mm (6 1/2") sealed cube design with radiused edges. We then chose an elegant Polyurethane high gloss “RETRO-CREAM” finish. The originals had either screws or on later models plastic binding posts mounted on a recessed plastic cup. We upgraded to high-end nickel plated, machined solid metal binding posts (Dual banana spacing) mounted on a black anodized ,milled and silk-screened aluminum terminal plate. Next we added a 7mm thick neoprene pad embedded into the base of the cabinet to serve as a skid-resistant acoustic isolator. Additionally, for creative mounting situations, we recessed an industry standard 5/8”-27 mic stand mount into the base.
Second, We addressed the driver design... The originals were a basic 5” stamped frame design. We designed a proprietary 5.25” die cast aluminum frame driver/cone assembly to exceed the performance of the originals. The mounting bezel is then polished for an elegant appearance. The paper cone, chosen for its musical character, is custom designed & crafted using the finest New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for lighter weight & rigidity. The cloth surround is made in Japan to exacting uniform thickness tolerances. The Top Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel enabling the highest modeled flux density in the gap. The magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC) yielding a 43oz. High Power-low distortion motor structure.
Studios primarily use 2-way & 3-way larger monitors designed to represent a wide range reference viewpoint at higher listening levels. However, in this newly developing age of High Definition Audio, there is still a need to also hear what your mix will sound like when played back over small “bass-challenged” systems such as televisions, clock radios, computers, car stereos, iPod docking stations, etc. It is important to make mixing judgments based partially on listening to reference monitors that will not impart tonal anomalies caused by crossovers or inferior full range drivers. Particular attention is always paid to the critical mid-range vocal/guitar/keyboard areas. This is where having a full-range monitor without a crossover is truly revealing. Ten months of R&D comparative listening & tweaking went into the voicing of the Avantone MixCubes. The result is a very smooth sounding, full range upgrade from the original 5C Sound Cubes. Listening tests reveal that the MixCubes have a smooth, more open, transparent top end response with extended bass while maintaining their basic original character.
Amplification & Wiring
Recommended power rating is 50-200 watts of solid state power or 10-100 watts of tube power. It is advisable to use a high quality studio-grade power amplifier. The metal binding posts on the rear of the speaker can accept bare wire, spade lugs, or single or dual banana plugs. It is best to use 12 -16 AWG wire for runs longer than 6 feet.<
When positioning the Avantone MixCubes on stands or console bridges it is best to keep them at ear level and slightly angled in towards the engineer. Since they are shielded it is ok to place them near a CRT video monitor or TV without causing any problems. The bottom mic stand mounts will also allow you creative positioning options in unusual studio playback situations.
- 5.25" Shielded Passive Full range 8 ohm drivers
- 6 1/2" Cube Cabinet with multiple coats of "Retro-Cream" High Gloss lacquer finish
- Precision-milled high-rigidity MDF cabinet sides & baffle for low resonance
- Radiused corners & edges reduce edge diffraction for better imaging
- Custom Cone is crafted using New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for light weight & rigidity
- Cloth surround made in Japan to uniform thickness tolerances
- Top Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel
- The 43oz. low distortion motor structure magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC)
- High-Rigidity DIE-CAST Aluminum frame with polished mounting bezel
- Nickel Plated "high-end" binding posts (properly spaced for dual banana plugs) - insulated for CE compliance
- Anodized aluminum milled terminal plate
- 1/4" soft Neoprene Pad is recessed into the cabinet base to serve as a non-skid acoustic isolator
- Standard size (5/8"- 27 threading) female microphone stand mount is built into the cabinet base
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).