- Tom Anderson Guitarworks Drop Top Classic
- Purple Surf w/Natural Binding
- Flame Maple Top
- Alder Body
- Caramel Maple Neck and Fretboard (satin finish)
- 25.5" Scale Length
- 1 11/16" Nut
- Low-Rise Stainless Steel Frets
- Even-Taper Neck Shape: .810" thick at the 1st fret tapering to .870" at the 12th
- Buzz Feiten Tuning System
- Chrome Hardware
- Vintage Tremolo Bridge
- Locking Tuners
- Pearl White Pickguard
- SC1 (neck and middle) and HC3 (bridge) Pickups
- 5-Way Pickup Selector + Push/Pull Splitter + VA Booster Mini-Toggle Switch
- G&G Deluxe Tolex Hardshell Case
- Serial #: 04-23-18N
- Instrument Weight: 7.1 lbs
Music Store Live is proud to be an official Tom Anderson Guitarworks dealer. Just look at the flame on this beast!
Surf's up! Sure, this guitar is amazing to look at. That beautifully book-matched flame maple top has some absolutely stunning figuring to it. The guitar is jaw-droppingly beautiful but that's not even the best part. You don't end up establishing the reputation that Tom Anderson has by just building sexy looking instruments. They've got to also perform... and boy, does this ever!
The SC1 and HC3 pickup combo is definitely designed for the guitarist who isn't afraid of an aggressive tone. It's not over-the-top hot, by any means, but they also aren't loose and woofy the way vintage pickups can often be. Dial back the volume and you can mellow it out and tame your sound, but this bad boy wants to wail. The pickups have a very nice low-end presence to them and mid-range that's emphasized in just the right frequencies. The VA booster allows you to dial in 2 levels of boost and tonal coloring for the bridge humbucker. Though the changes are subtle, it's really cool to have this incredible versatility at your fingertips. The VA booster doesn't really take the place of a boost pedal, per say. It's more so designed as a way to further color your tone and adds a touch more of lows and low-mids so that the guitar can interact with your pedals or the front end of an amp slightly differently than with the VA booster switch off. Ultimately it just adds a wealth of versatility to a classic hot-rodded Strat design. And just in case you're going "ok... but what other sounds can I get out of it?" Anderson also added a push/pull option on the tone knob that splits the bridge pickup.
The neck on this guitar is absolutely divine. We went with their even-taper shape and it's thin enough to feel lighning fast without feeling like a toothpick in your hands. Regardless of where you are on the neck it feels awesome. Chords and lead lines alike are effortless and their revolutionary bolt-on design really lets you feel the entire guitar resonating as you achieve seemingly limitless sustain. This can easily be that one guitar that can get you through any gig or session you'll ever come across.
The "S" shape is clearly brought to its apex in the form of Drop Top Classic.
The Drop Top Classic offers its eye-popping gifts accompanied with the class of a classic pickguard, hence the name Drop Top Classic. But its name not only denotes a look rooted in tradition but in its intrinsic sound as well. Yes, this classy guarded guitar not only delivers classic good looks but the anatomy of the actual pickguard itself creates a more "Classic" tone, a tone to certainly please a connoisseur of the classics.
Drop Top Classic announces itself with a radiant book-matched flame or quilted maple, koa or walnut top that is actually bent (or "dropped") over a carefully chosen tonewood body create a smooth and comfortable, swooping forearm contour, and it does it all in keeping with the traditional pickguard styling.
Since 1991 Drop Top Classic has been the fancy, classic "S" to own. Before this time nothing like it existed. You could say, it was an inspired revelation that started a joyous revolution, of guitars that is. But we certainly could not stop there. Through the years, as we began to unlock the secrets of Drop Top tonalities and the vast richness lying within, we applied this depth of understanding to the realm of the Drop Top Classic.
VA Booster is a no-battery powered color change for the pickups to which it is applied, approx. 4db on single coil-style pickups and split humbuckers. The boost's effect is less apparent on full-power humbucker pickups but lends a nice saturation and smoothness.
It is as if, with the flick of an unobtrusive mini-toggle switch (see photo), we rewind your pickups for a little more saturation and oomph while still retaining the same overall character, very nice.
Clicking the booster transitions the pickups to the next level, as though we put the “next hotter” set of pickups into your guitar.
(Editor's note: VA Boost is subtle sweetness and saturation. It is not like a foot pedal embedded in your guitar. We find foot pedal level boost better applied and adjusted on the floor in front of your amp. The combination of VA Boost and your favorite pedal can be a magic one.)
Dating back to the late 1950's, this is the wood found in more 3 single coil, double cut-away, 25 1/2" scale length guitars than any other. Due to its widespread popularity, it produces a very familiar tone, a "vintage tone." Its sound is primarily a thicker, midrange tone. It is very full in the low midrange yet produces enough upper midrange to be clear and articulate.
SC 1: Slightly more than vintage level, single-coil sound, hum-canceling (great for neck and middle application).
HC 3: The HC Series solution to hot output, with some vintage character still nicely intact. Just pushes the front of the amp a touch more or when a bit more musical muscle is needed.
Music Store Live is proud to be an authorized dealer for Tom Anderson Guitarworks. This Drop Top Classic is 100% brand new and is being sold with a full manufacturer's warranty. Photos are of the exact guitar you'll receive.
Our in-house guitar tech will inspect, test, set up, and clean all of our instruments on site prior to shipping. All of our instruments are guaranteed to be fully functional upon arrival.
Our team of musicians fuses the spirit of the local guitar shop with the convenience of the web by creating a reliable and worry-free buying experience.
At Music Store Live, our goal is to revolutionize the way gear is bought online. It’s not just about videos and know how; it’s about the person on the other end of the line. Whether you are in Tokyo or Toledo, we invite you to experience the reality of a living online music store and help us shape the best buying experience possible. As you'll see in the video below, we're musicians just like you. We strive to offer the best gear, the best online experience, and the best personalized service in the industry. We invite you to get to know our team, and we would love the opportunity to get to know you too!
Free Shipping - Free Return Shipping - 30 Day Returns
At MusicStoreLive.com we are proud to offer free return shipping and a 30-day return policy in the 48 contiguous states on all new* items over $30. It's all part of our mission to bring the guitar shop to your living room. This policy allows you to get your gear hassle-free and try it with your own rig to be sure that it truly fits with your playing style and sound. If it doesn't work the way you had hoped we'll send you a prepaid return label and work up an exchange or issue you a refund once we get the item back in the same condition it was purchased. It's that simple.
- Your order must ship to the billing address associated with your credit card, PayPal, or other method of payment (unless an alternate shipping address has been approved by an MSL Gear Specialist).
- If you want the shipment to be held at a shipping company hub it is your responsibility to make those arrangements directly with the shipping company.
- An indirect signature will be required upon delivery for all transactions over $250. If you would like to require a signature on a transaction of less than $250, please request it when you place your order.
- We do not insure packages valued under $3,000. If you would like to add insurance for delivery or return please request it when requesting your order or initiating your return.
- All returns are subject to a Tech Check upon arrival. Any instrument that is returned with damage, wear and tear (including pick marks), missing or replaced parts, missing protective or packing materials are not eligible for a full refund.
- *Used / Open Box/ Vintage / Clearance items carry our same return policy, except with a 3 day return window.
- Orders shipped within California will be subject to 7.25% state sales tax.
In most cases we ship same day if your order is placed by 12 p.m. EST Monday thru Friday!
Return Policy Details
Is your instrument just not doing it for you? We understand and we absolutely want you to be thrilled with any gear that you buy from MusicStoreLive.com. If you're not happy with your order, you can return it to us at no charge within 30 days of delivery.
- Customers outside the continental USA must pay their own return shipping and are responsible for all applicable taxes and fees.
- The return policy does not apply to custom orders or modifications (pickup installs, etc)
- Contact MSL at email@example.com or (866) 256-5725 to begin the return process. You can request a refund, store credit, or exchange.
- We'll provide you a return label via email.
- Ship the item back to us in its original packaging using the provided return label.
- Customer is responsible for returning the item to Music Store Live in its original condition.
- A refund or exchange will be issued within 3 business days from our receipt of the returned item.
- All returns will go through a technical inspection and are subject to a restocking fee if the item is not returned in its original condition. Restocking fee to be determined by MSL.
Layaways & Financing
- Deposit a non-refundable minimum of 10% down of the purchase price on anything in stock
- Contact MSL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 256-5725 to place your initial deposit.
- Pay it off at your convenience within 30 days.
- $100 layaway fee for each additional month over the initial 30 days (on most items).